Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Secret" Stash of Pre Remy 1894SS's Anywhere?

I am a first time rifle buyer and have fallen in love with the Marlin 1894SS. Unfortunately, I discovered that a few years back Remington bought Marlin AND MOVED PRODUCTION (!!!) to NY. I've browsed various boards and many folks don't seem to be too happy with these newer Remy/Marlin rifles (big surprise, right?). So, I am hopeful a big cache of pre-Remy SS's to be discovered in the back of a shop somewhere, but that seems unlikely :)

Should I just wait out the auction sites, or is there something comparable I can buy form a different manufacturer?

Thanks.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Re: "Secret" Stash of Pre Remy 1894SS's Anywhere?

I am happy wih mine. I purchased an 1894css and have no complaints. You just have to look it over carefully and have the gun shop staff cycle some dummy rounds throught it to make sure it cycles properly. Mine was stiff at first but now will cycle fine. I did reject one that had a chip out of the fore end. If you are able to look carefully and cycle the action, then you can decide to buy or not. It doesn't cost to look. I have the gun smith on duty look at it and tell me his thoughts.

·
Premium Member
18,025 Posts

There are similar models, but to my mind, there is nothing "comparable". Hold out for the 1894SS. 8)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts

Listen to our "Papa"...just keep an eye out at the auction sites and your local pawn/gun shops...lotsa nice 44s out there..I wouldn't lag as the word seems to be spreading concerning post '08 guns and the prices are reflecting it

·
Registered
25 Posts

CalvinMD said:
Listen to our "Papa"...just keep an eye out at the auction sites and your local pawn/gun shops...lotsa nice 44s out there..I wouldn't lag as the word seems to be spreading concerning post '08 guns and the prices are reflecting it
Hi Guys

Is there a definitive date or serial number info anywhere that denotes exactly WHEN Remy began production of Marlins ??

If its an 08 is it a MArlin Marlin & an 09 is a Remy Marlin ??????

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts

I know a shop that has a brand new in the box 1894 in 44 mag, but it's blued. I checked it and it is a true Marlin North Haven gun, not a remlin. They also have an E prefix 336SC in 30-30 that is about 85-90 % and a pre safety 1895SS 45-70 just in case anyone is interested. PM me if you are interested and I'll give you their contact info.

MM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts