Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it looks like Marlin will not have my 35 back to me anytime soon so I need to go to my second choice for my black bear hunt. I will take my 336SS 30-30. Today I installed my XS Ghost Ring sights, I will sight it in sometime this week and post the results.
Has anyone else used these sights on a 30-30, and how did they perform?

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
The 30-30 with the 170 grain bullet should do just fine on black bears. We will be wanting to see some pics when you get back.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scope and See-thru mounts

My 10 year old shot a 280 lb black bear using his 30-30 last month. He shoots 170 Winchester Power Points. Has a Bushnell Banner 1.75-4x 32mm long eye relief scope (6 inches) mounted using Kwik Site See-Thru mounts. Gives him the ability to use scope or open sites depending on the situation, lighting etc. He dropped his bear with one shot from 20 yards. Have 2 45-70's and another 30-30 all use Kwik Site See-Thrus with either a Bushnell or Leupold scope. Its a great set up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scope and See-thru mounts

My 10 year old shot a 280 lb black bear using his 30-30 last month. He shoots 170 Winchester Power Points. Has a Bushnell Banner 1.75-4x 32mm long eye relief scope (6 inches) mounted using Kwik Site See-Thru mounts. Gives him the ability to use scope or open sites depending on the situation, lighting etc. He dropped his bear with one shot from 20 yards. Have 2 45-70's and another 30-30 all use Kwik Site See-Thrus with either a Bushnell or Leupold scope. Its a great set up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took the 30-30 out today and sighted in using Winchester 170 grain
Hi Shoks. The XS sights work great but could use alittle more adjustability. I wanted to sight it in at 50 yards because I wont be any further than that. It shoots a couple of inchs high when the rear sight is adjusted fully down. Its not much of a problem because I just lower the front sight in the ring while aiming at the shorter ranges. I did have to adjust the rear sight over far to the right, it looks offset now but thats where it has to be for me. It almost looks as though the front sight is not centered on the barrel from the factory.
As long as I can hit what and where im aiming I really dont care.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know this will be considered a fluke . Last year in PA it was a day or two before deer season and a guy showed me a picture at the check station of a young man and his bear . The little guy was 10-12 I believe ,he was hunting with a 243 loaded with 90gr bullets . He shot his bear one time at about 45 yards , the bear ran about thirty yards piled up and died. This is a great youth hunter story but the kicker is that bear dressed out weighed 640 lbs on the states checking scales. This is not meant to detract from anyone else. But I thought this was rare indeed :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts