Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you seat the gascheck base first or nose first? Does it matter? If it does, how? Maybe better alignment with the nose first?

I have seated them both ways. Who does what??

Papalote

·
Registered
522 Posts
Nose first thru the die is the way I do it. I can usually push the Hornady gas checks on by hand but for those that did not go on all the way the ram pushed them on the rest of the way as it went thru the die.

·
Super Moderator
12,205 Posts
Nose first, couldn't imagine the other way around working as well.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I spread out a few gas checks on the bench and push the bullets into them. Then I set the bullet and check on the sizer punch and verify that it is sitting straight, then run it through the die nose first.
M.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Ditto to 80hp, it seemed to me to be the logical way to seat them.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Call me obsessive. I've started seating gas checks by tapping them onto the bullet base with a rawhide hammer. If they don't easily tap on, I reject that cast bullet and remelt it. "Easily tap on" of course is very subjective and sometimes depends on my mood. The bullets easiest to reject are the ones that are too loose after having the check tapped on. I use my Lee push through to then crimp the check on the base of the bullet.

rimrock

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
HI Rimrock,
That's one way but I think it would be very time consuming. I just sit the bullet on the gas check and run it through the die and I don't have any rejects. If they are that awkward to put I might be checking my mold. You should not be having so many undersize bases for the gas check.
Hope this helps, just my 2c worth.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I tap them. Not always they go on straight but I have a few that do, then run them nose first.

·
Registered
701 Posts
NIGHT OWL ENTERPRISES, over at castboolits web site, makes a gas check seating die...also make a swage die to "clean up" the bases. Good results, but can be slow. I foremerly tapped the gas check on with a nylon headed hammer on the bench, but I shoot a very limited amount of gas check boolits, and then run them through my STAR lubricator/sizer nose first.

The RANCH DOG TLC 432 265 cast bullet with gas check and lubed with LEE LIQUID ALOX, per the RANCH DOG tutorials on dipping, removes lead from the barrels of my rifles and pistols after using conventionally lubed bullets. Don't know if it is the ALOX or the gas check or combination thereof, but it works for me. Six rounds work 90% of the time...little used or new guns need a few more until they get broke in.

Another tip is to dip a Q-tip in CLOVER lapping compound and dab it into the forcing cone of a revolver; a low end version of firelapping. Go fire a few rounds...I do 24 per gun per session...clean and repeat as needed. Several applications will reduce leading appreciably. Now I need to figure out how to do something similar in rifles.

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
rimrock said:
Call me obsessive. I've started seating gas checks by tapping them onto the bullet base with a rawhide hammer. If they don't easily tap on, I reject that cast bullet and remelt it. "Easily tap on" of course is very subjective and sometimes depends on my mood. The bullets easiest to reject are the ones that are too loose after having the check tapped on. I use my Lee push through to then crimp the check on the base of the bullet.

rimrock
+1.....I do this to make sure the gas check is flush and straight on the base of the bullet. I do around 50 at a time then size, and repeat! I dump out a hand full of gas checks on the bench, insert a bullet, tap and push aside.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Nose first, and the pressure from the bullet getting sized seats the GC firmly in place.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Interesting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts