Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I recently acquired a Ranger 103-11 in 16 gauge. Been hunting for one many years and think I accidentally stumbled into from researching - a Skeeting or Skeet King version? The receiver, back of forearm, top lever and bottom of the trigger guard are all nicely engraved. It has an ivory bead. The wood is a much nicer quality & finish than my 20 gauge Ranger 130-6. Chokes are not marked on the left rear of the barrels like my 20 gauge either. But there is an "S" under the serial number on the bottom of the barrel set above "For 2 3/4" Shells". The serial number on the bottom of the receiver is also "RS57##" where my 20 gauge is just "R25##".

Features, markings, and "S" stamp all match what I've read and seen as a "Marlin Model 90 Skeet King" but I haven't found any mention of a Ranger version. Thank you in advance for info/confirmation on Ranger Skeet Kings produced by Marlin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pictures of shotgun is welcomed!
Welcome from the marshes of south Louisiana.
These are the best I can muster at the moment. Got it fully broken down on the bench now. Bought it from a shop with both sides of the stock spitting and puckering behind the receiver. Stock bolt was loose as a goose. Waiting for some acuglass to arrive to stabilize both areas of the stock; thankfully it is only split and separated and didn’t detach.
Automotive design Carbon Automotive exterior Wood Rim

Product Wood Wood stain Hardwood Tool

Revolver Everyday carry Trigger Personal protective equipment Font

Wood Font Tints and shades Sleeve Close-up
Textile Eyewear Automotive design Wood Beige

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
39,867 Posts
Made before 1950 for sure! Barrels were separated after 1950! Man I would have bought without a second thought! Once you have it all back together, picture are required! Sweet! Marlin 90?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mended the split in the other side of the stock and also worked on some of the 70+ years of nicks, scuffs, and scratches on the stock as well. Best thing I found is actual walnuts. The oil in the nut meat lubricates while husk on has just the right amount of abrasiveness to remove stains and scuffs without removing or scratching the finish. Piece is all back together now and light was pretty good out for a few pictures.
Wood Flooring Line Floor Hardwood
Wood Everyday carry Knife Hardwood Wood stain
Sleeve Wood Gesture Floor Comfort
Wood Tool Gas Machine Metal
Brown Food Ingredient Wood Cuisine
Brown Greater galangal Ginger Wood Food
Brown Wood Rectangle Table Wood stain

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Few side by side images with it's older 103-6 Ranger sister in 20 GA. Differences: brass vs ivory beads, engraved vs unengraved receiver, trigger guard, top lever & back of forearm. Nicer wood grain/quality & higher gloss finish on the 16GA. The 20 GA barrels are choked/marked Full & Modified; 16 GA are both skeet choked/marked "S" on bottom of barrel set. 20 GA but pad is branded "Ranger" where the 16GA is branded "Red Head Brand".
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Tool Facade
Wood Trigger Air gun Shotgun Automotive exterior

Cause the light and weather was so good out - a Savage vs Marlin O/U 16 GA side-by-side. The Savage model 420 was also introduced in the late 30's at the sub-$40 price point. These were the two American "blue collar" over-unders and the 1st mass produced over unders to be offered in 16GA; Remington model 32 was 12GA only and the Browning Superposed was 12 & 20GA (no 16GA). The Marlin 90 beat out the Savage 420 (in run life & numbers produced) - the Marlin had the huge advantage of being distributed by Sears. The Savage is cock on lever - which explains why the top lever is so much beefier compared to the Marlin. That taller top lever also drove the savage to need a pedestal mounted bead. The Savage site picture just begs for a full rib, but the weight of it sure doesn't need it. Marlin really got the whole package right with figuring out the cock on opening and lock work to get around the Browning and Remington patents while allowing for a natural and very nice sight picture. Still two elegant deigns in a chambering and from a era gone by.

Wood Track Metal Roof Hardwood
Textile Wood Shotgun Material property Sleeve

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is the only Skeet Grade Ranger I’ve ever even heard of! The wood restoration was definitely worthwhile as it came out great. Congratulations on a great find and a great save. I’m pretty. Unchanged in awe.😁

Froggie 🐸

·
Registered
343 Posts
I asked a friend who is 92 and a long-time member of the Marlin Firearm Owners Collectors Association about your gun. He has owned a number of 12, 16, 20 and .410 Marlin Model 90 Skeet Kings. He said he has only seen one other Ranger-branded Skeet King, and it was a .410.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He said he has only seen one other Ranger-branded Skeet King, and it was a .410.
Thank you for asking and sharing. Had no idea it was such an unusual piece. Been hunting for years for a 16ga M90 or Ranger and was just glad to finally locate one for under six that was in half decent shape. Hadn’t even heard of the Skeet King until after I bought it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts