Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, recently acquired a J.C. HIGGINS - Model 10313 - 22Cal (Sears Roebuck and Company - S - L - LR) and I'm having an issue with it. When the bolt is closed too roughly - the firing pin drops. Is there anything that I can do to remedy this situation? Feel rather uncomfortable using it until I can have this resolved.

Also, does anyone know the years this rifle was produced (1937-1940)?

· Registered
245 Posts
I have a Ranger 103-2 which is same as yours, also made for Sears. Mine is from 1937. Yes 1937 to 1940 was years of production for some. If rough closing and firing pin drops, down load manual for Marlin Model 81. Then disassemble and clean bolt and firing pin. Good luck as they are very fine shooting rifles.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Ranger 103-2 which is same as yours, also made for Sears. Mine is from 1937. Yes 1937 to 1940 was years of production for some. If rough closing and firing pin drops, down load manual for Marlin Model 81. Then disassemble and clean bolt and firing pin. Good luck as they are very fine shooting rifles.
Thank you for the confirmation on the years.

I've taken apart the trigger and bolt assembly and given them a thorough cleaning. I've noticed that if I slightly push on the trigger from behind, it prevents the firing pin from dropping when closed with force. Is this indication of a bad trigger spring, if so, which spring would I need to replace?

I've also attached a picture of the trigger assembly, the trigger/sear surface is a lot little rough but appears to be fine.

Attachments

· Registered
245 Posts
Thank you for the confirmation on the years.

I've taken apart the trigger and bolt assembly and given them a thorough cleaning. I've noticed that if I slightly push on the trigger from behind, it prevents the firing pin from dropping when closed with force. Is this indication of a bad trigger spring, if so, which spring would I need to replace?

I've also attached a picture of the trigger assembly, the trigger/sear surface is a lot little rough but appears to be fine.
I will look at mine in morning and see if any difference.

· Registered
245 Posts
I need to make sure apples to apples. My Ranger is a Marlin Model 80 with Magazine. The Higgins 103-13 is based on Marlin 81 DL with tube feed. The trigger on my 80 DL is different than yours and the 81 DL is like it. Did read some interesting bits about trigger not being set right. EBAY does have new trigger and springs for about 19.00 and the block for little less (sorry closed it out and memory not working). But they do look rougher than mine does and maybe a light polishing would help. Seems like more than one spring on EBAY and seems like would just replace them all. After all 80+ years is a long time. Good luck with it as they are excellent shooters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts