Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going thru my stuff figuring what I going to keep pulled out old m50 Sears 30/06. This is a better rifle than any American made on market today. Belgian FN 98 Mauser action, scope safety and nice blued steel. I only set it aside to keep a few years ago because I sold my Win 70 pre 64 in 30/06. Wanted to keep a bolt 30/06 because only one I kept was 1895 Win lever. Was also my loaner when caught in family situations .
If I liked the guy and he appreciated guns I lent him the m50. If not I had a Bubba Custom 93 Mauser 7x57 they got to use. I’m thinking of wild cating it into a straight case like 220Swift into 358 bore. Going to hit the books and see if their are any than would just require rebarrel and chamber job. The ballistics would have to be a good bit better than anything on commercial market to fool with it. I miss my gunsmith. I had same rifle in 270. Buddy of mine wanted a 338/06 built. I let him have the 270 and was restocked with Fajen wood and Douglas barre. Timney trigger. Turned out a fine rifle with Leupold 3x9. There are several rifles built in 50s and 60s on Mauser 98s that are little know and not appreciated for fine hunting rifles they are.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Let's keep this a secret. Prices are still reasonable. I have a few, two that are strictly stock as in like all original. A coule more have had the staock altered some to suit the original owners but were nicely done. The last one was the only one I ever had that was chambered to the .270 Win. It is now a 7x57 with a different stock. Why the change? It was one of the earliest style of the M50 and the groove for the rear sight was smack dab in the top of the barrel right over the chamber. I never did cotton to the idea of 60KPSI next to my face with the "thin" spot. I had originally planned on using them for custom rifles but unfortunately life and lack of funds got in the way.
My biggest gripe was their stocks were just a bit too clubby to suit me. The altered ones had the stocks slimmed down a but while keeping the basic lines. I may sell off a bunch of guns but those J.C. Higgins M50s will not be among those sold down the line.
Paul B.

Reactions: rocky1 and exSW

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The stocks may have been a little clubby but the Herters Mauser 98s came in two models U9 & J9.
Never could keep them straight but the cheaper model with basic stock had no design. About like stock on Moss BA shotgun. They would warp you even in 3006. I bought one in 375H&H when they were circling the bowl. I think you could have used it to drive fence posts. I had several 375H&H at the time and a post 64 m70 in 458mg. None were equal of the Herters. Most of the others Huskys, Santa Barbra, ect where really a good value for a hunting rifle. I would pick one over Rem 700, Sav 110 or Win post 70 any day. In 70s-80s CZ were very reasonable and only American rifle near was a 77 Ruger. Far as I’m concerned the new model 77 was no improvement.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I sold my M50 in 30-06 last year just because I made a little cash.... and regretted it in a couple of days. Can’t find another one. I need to have my butt kicked!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Let the flames begin. I consider the J.C. Higgins M50/51 to be a better rifle than the vaunted pre-64 Winchester M70. Just my personal opinion based on having both brands of rifle. The M50s are still in the safe. The M70s are long gone.
Paul B.

Reactions: MarlinManCB45/70

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'd keep the rifle as is. That .30-'06 barrel is probably much better than you suspect. I have the same rifle, and love it. The trigger design is goofy, but if you aren't using it for real wilderness hunting, then it isn't goofy enough to worry about.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The barrels were chrome lined,build by High Standard. Personally I'd leave the barrel alone. I've been casually looking for one for a while now.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
The only thing I don't care for on the Model 50 is the safety, I prefer the 3 way safety on the model 70 and the fact that the 70's safety is on the right side. I might have my model 50 converted to the 70 style safety.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
The only thing I don't care for on the Model 50 is the safety, I prefer the 3 way safety on the model 70 and the fact that the 70's safety is on the right side. I might have my model 50 converted to the 70 style safety.
I have a conversion to the M70 type safety. Apparently there are two versions. One is just a two position and the other a three position. Frankly, I don't like the gap they leave on the bolt should. I think it would reduce the protection from a gas leak the standard Mauser shroud gives. Mine is the two position and it came on the rifle when I bought it. One of these days its coming off just as soon as I find a decent replacement.
Paul B.

·
Registered
31,289 Posts
Two m50's on GB, dang they will bid them up big time.

ca'jun56

·
Premium Member
15,238 Posts
I'd keep the rifle as is. That .30-'06 barrel is probably much better than you suspect. I have the same rifle, and love it. The trigger design is goofy, but if you aren't using it for real wilderness hunting, then it isn't goofy enough to worry about.
I agree. taking an older little used rifle and modding it 9 times out of ten is a mistake and he'll regret it later. when it becomes a collector's item, which always happens AFTER you mod it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts