Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so what do I have here. Picked up a Sears 44 DL the other day at a Pawn Shop. He had $229.95 on it and I ask if he would do $200 otd and he agreed. Told him I would have to go out to my truck to get cash and to my surprise he said if you gonna pay cash I'll do $180 otd. Now all this came after me questioning him about whether it actually worked or not and what was the deal with the short throw lever. Rifle works flawlessly and is in pretty good condition. What years did they make these. Why is there no serial number and why did Marlin stop making them. I love this short throw action.

·
Super Moderator
17,805 Posts
My store brand crossover list has it as a Model 57 Levermatic. They were made from 1959 through 1965 and if I remember right .22s didn't have to be serialized until 1969...

One sold on Gunbroker in excellent condition in March for $400.00.

Another sold in so so condition last week for $240.00.

Sounds like you did well...

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
OK so what do I have here. Picked up a Sears 44 DL the other day at a Pawn Shop. He had $229.95 on it and I ask if he would do $200 otd and he agreed. Told him I would have to go out to my truck to get cash and to my surprise he said if you gonna pay cash I'll do $180 otd. Now all this came after me questioning him about whether it actually worked or not and what was the deal with the short throw lever. Rifle works flawlessly and is in pretty good condition. What years did they make these. Why is there no serial number and why did Marlin stop making them. I love this short throw action.
The 57M was made from 1959 to 1969. 1200 Sear's models. Look forward to some pics.:top:
If its a model 56 22lr its a rare bird. Only 118 Sear's models made.

·
Super Moderator
17,805 Posts
The 57M was made from 1959 to 1969. 1200 Sear's models. Look forward to some pics.:top:
If its a model 56 22lr its a rare bird. Only 118 Sear's models made.
Isn't the 57M a magnum?

I noticed the OP title says 22 so I assumed it was .22LR L S... We'll see....

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Isn't the 57M a magnum?

I noticed the OP title says 22 so I assumed it was .22LR R S... We'll see....
G'day Scorps , i'm just going on whats in Brophy's book. Doesn't show Sears in the store brands in the Model 57 bit?:dontknow:
We need photos!

·
Super Moderator
17,805 Posts
G'day Scorps , i'm just going on whats in Brophy's book. Doesn't show Sears in the store brands in the Model 57 bit?:dontknow:
We need photos!
G'day Boris... I have a PDF I downloaded from the NRA museum that is a storebrand crossover and has the Sears 44DL as Model 57 and a 44DLM as a 57M...

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
G'day Boris... I have a PDF I downloaded from the NRA museum that is a storebrand crossover and has the Sears 44DL as Model 57 and a 44DLM as a 57M...
Well there you go ! I never thought Brophy's to be 100% and there's your proof! cheers Bart.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are a couple pics. Didn't find a couple letters on barrel after roll mark but did find the X after the SEARS which I haven't seen till now. I did notice it has a piece of white plastic between stock and butt plate. I wouldn't think a Sears model would have that. Anymore info would be appreciated of course Gun Firearm Rifle Shotgun Trigger
Gun Rifle Firearm Shotgun Air gun

Attachments

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Just a heads up since this is your "first" Levermatic. If you do a complete tear down and cleaning the parts are totally different, and sometimes hard to find, from any other Marlins. Be careful and pay considerable attention to location of said parts. I have a few different ones and one I got because the owner thought it was broken because the lever only moved a couple inches! All of my levermatics, are walnut stocked, but I don't have a store brand. My 56's and 62's have blued triggers, but my 57M has a gold one. It appears yours is silver, which I think would be appropriate for a store brand version. From the picture it looks like your receiver is rounded on the back which I assume would make it an aluminum one.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You're right on all accounts. Don't plan on breaking it down anytime soon unless it gives trouble. Two questions for you and the gang. Why the X after the Sears marking and why did Marlin stop making these.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.