Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its not a Marlin, well it might be but I dont think so.
My dad just gave me his old 22 to clean up & shoot this weekend & I was wondering if anyone could Identify the maker.
Its a hammerless tube fed 22 short, long or long rifle with a 20" barrel. The reciever looks to be alloy & is grooved for a scope.
Barrel markings are as follows - SEARS - mod.5 cal 22 s,l, or lr_ sears, roebuck & co._ mod. no. 273,2340 _ Made in USA_.
Its stamped with SP in an oval on both the barrel & reciever on the left side & stamped EH on the right side of the barrel. He said he got it right after they were married so its around 40 years old.
The trigger travels with the lever like a BLR & its got a saftey just ahead of the trigger which also serves as the pivot for the lever.
Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Wrenchester

Leverdude,

Consulting my Sears list, I see a sears Model 5, 5T ;#273.2340 that is a Wrenchester model 150-250. Can't tell ya anything else since I don't know nuttin' about Wrenchesters. Actually, I just returned from a LONG night at work, and I don't even know what planet I'm on. :shock: Anyway, the Sears 273 series are all Wrenchesters. SW

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NebrHogger,

I thank you, that explains the -W273- on the locking bolt.
Not a Marlin but A Winchesters better n a Mossberg I guess.

Had alot of fun with this gun over the weekend. Guess I need to get another lever gun. :D Gonna keep my eyes open for a used 39 or 1897 Marlin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts