Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings; I just inherited my father's 336 cs .35 Remington; we had great times hunting back in the 80's. I have tried unsuccesfully to buy ammo for it within the past few days. **Could someone share some "light" on ammo for this Rifle or other alternatives.?

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Be sure to keep the brass and find someone to reload them for you. I pay a guy $20 a box for reloads and new they cost like $30 box. I think if you're just going to practice the relaods are fine. I'm saving a box of new for the hunt.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bass Pro shops not in Columbus Oh. (Hunting Hogs),,,
I went to Cabelas..they had 35 whelen ammo.( supposed to fit)
but it did'nt. Luckuly enough they reimbursed me ,(as one of their employees recommended this round).

·
Premium Member
12,127 Posts
I have found it online recently with Bass Pro Shops and the price and shipping was not bad at all. I don't ever see much of it at the stores here in Florida any time of the year. I have also purchased some from Gander in the past and picked it up at the store as they don't charge shipping that way.

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
Reactions: Floridahunter57

·
Banned
120 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Is .35 Rem a caliber facing serious scarcity due to lack of demand? Does anyone build rifles chambered for .35 Rem?

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Looks like you have some answers already. I can usually find it locally if I do a little planning ahead during the year and buy some when I see it, instead of waiting until the last minute so to say and have Murphy's Law come into play. That way I always have some around come time I need it, since it's hit or miss at times finding it on the shelf. Just for info, my .35 rem seems to love the Hornady, groups better than others I've used out of that rifle. Gotta' love those .35 rems... :biggrin:
Good luck to you.

·
Banned
120 Posts
Is .35 Rem a caliber facing serious scarcity due to lack of demand? Does anyone build rifles chambered for .35 Rem?
It sure seems that way but heck every time I go to the store to buy some they are wiped clean. I would understand not making as much if ammo were just sitting on the shelves..

·
Registered
741 Posts
Don't know how widespread Academy Sports and Outdoors is but they always have plenty of Remington Core-Lokt 200 gr, which is the load I use until I get enough spent cases to start loading the 200 gr RCBS I bought from Doc Holiday on this forum and the 195 gr Ranchdogs I bought from Jerry at Carolina Cast Bullet Co.

I don't know if Academy sells on line, but you might check.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I'm assuming Marlin(Remington) still does. Also, CVA makes a couple different models of the break-down single shot rifles in 35 Remington. I have one, the Scout V2 model, and it's a really accurate rifle. It easily groups less than an inch at 100 yds., with good ol' Remington 200 gr. Corelokt factory ammo, and these rifles come with a really nice trigger pull. I've been busy the last few days working up a load using that 200 gr. Corelokt bullet. CVA is making some good stuff if you like one-shooters, and they're OK by me. I hunted for a number of years with a Ruger No. 1, and a single shot that is accurate is really all that is needed for hunting, unless you're after a bear.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I checked Academy On-line. I found this
"In select stores only. Call 1-888-922-2336 for Store Availability"

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Greetings; I just inherited my father's 336 cs .35 Remington; we had great times hunting back in the 80's. I have tried unsuccesfully to buy ammo for it within the past few days. **Could someone share some "light" on ammo for this Rifle or other alternatives.?
I think location has something to do with it also,here in PA the 35 Rem. has been a popular deer and bear round for decades,sometimes in the summer months it's a little harder to find but come fall just about everyone has it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Bass Pro shops not in Columbus Oh. (Hunting Hogs),,,
I went to Cabelas..they had 35 whelen ammo.( supposed to fit)
but it did'nt.
Luckuly enough they reimbursed me ,(as one of their employees recommended this round).
That is a new one to me.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
The 35 REM ammo is considered a "seasonal" ammo. Ammunition makers produce ammunition that sells the most, can't blame them for that. Most of the Mfg that make 35 REM have started producing it NOW. It might be worthwhile to call different gun shops in your area asking if they have it. If so you can ask for the price and ask a store that has it to put 2 or 3 boxes on layaway using a credit card to hold it. Then you can drive over to pick it up. You really don't need a lot of it. Once you sight in the rifle, you should be able to clean it and put it away. 35 REM is too expensive to shoot for target practice. Its a GREAT medium caliber, you can take down a good size buck or a small to medium size black bear with one well placed round.

Mike T.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts