Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day, ladies & gentlemen. Back about 1962 I bought a Marlin 39 through Klein's (Chicago, Ill). I owned/hunted with it until I sold it to a cousin when I enlisted in the USMC in 1968. I've made many futile pleas to buy it back, but to no avail. Through the years I have never found another like it and am hoping that perhaps one of you may know where one exists for sale. It was a Model 39, 22lr, 20" bbl, straight grip, half-magazine tube. Thanks.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hello

I have one I am going to sell but it's not like the one you want. To bad Lee Harvey Oswald put Kleins out of business. I bought a lot of stuff from there at one time.

The one I am going to sell (Marlin 39-A "Gold) can be seen at http://www.picturetrail.com/smoke810

As far as I know, this rifle has never been fired.

DG

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all who replied to my inquiry. I recall that the carbine in question was very similar to the Marlin 1894 that was offered for a brief period in 22 mag., which is another one on my wish list.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Whiskeywah,

I noticed that the one you had back in 1962 I think you said was a 20" barrel straight grip. The latest run of this version of the 39 was called the 1897T and they made them from about 2001 to 2003. I've got one of these and like it EXTREMELY well.

Marlin thru the years has made this version a couple of other times. Some of the other guys can fill this in better for you, I think one was a Mountie or something.

The 39a in the auction, at least the one I looked at is the 24" barrel, pistol grip standard version.

Geoff

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Yes it is a PG 24" barrel. Wasn't sure if Whiskeywah was more interested in an early gun, or one with a 20" barrel, so I thought I'd link that auction! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Marlin 39a carbine

Sir,

What you may be looking for is a 39a carbine .20 inch tapered barrel.3/4 mag. made 1963-1967. I have two
Herk

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wish to offer my apologies to anyone I may have offended for soliciting on this forum in regard to my initial inquiry.

·
Registered
688 Posts
WHISKEYWAH said:
I wish to offer my apologies to anyone I may have offended for soliciting on this forum in regard to my initial inquiry.
Who could be offended?

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
We're all here to help each other, so nobody should get offended by your search to find the 39! Hope it works out!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I NEED SOME FEEDBACK. After posting an inquiry on another site, I negotiated with a seller (who occasionally posts on this forum) to buy a 39A carbine I'd been looking for. Well, today the little rifle arrived at the local gunshop and within an hour of its arrival I hurried down to check it out and to initiate the paperwork. Of course, you're all familiar with Murphy, right ? There's another law that states, " If anything bad can happen, it's gonna happen to ME". In view of the gunshop proprietor and a patron I unpacked the weapon. My initial reaction was how pristine this little carbine appeared; exactly as represented in the pics emailed to me. And then... the prominent cracks in the buttstock, extending from the upper tang to nearly the buttplate. I think my pumper skipped four, or five beats. Anyway, we were in complete agreement that this damage was incurred during shipping. I notified UPS to initiate a claim for damages and emailed the seller with the sad news (I have a 3 day return INS). I priced a replacement stock on GUN PARTS ($60.00+HIS). Right now, I'm a far cry from being a Happy Camper. Would a replacement stock (39M) be pre-drilled for a swivel, not a feature of this particular model ? Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
719 Posts
replacement stock

:shock: broken stocksyndrom......we've all had that!.....can the stock be fixed with some good epoxy? or jusst call up Marlin and ask them about the replacement stocks they have!
most replacements have NO sling swivel holes, and take a little fitting..1/2hr at most! :)
i recieved a swed m/96 once with a crack big enough to drop a dime into......but i saved her buy tediously working epoxy into th splits then clamping her up overnight.....WALLAH! :wink:

·
Registered
397 Posts
A friend of mine once bought a Model 1893 Deluxe solid-frame. When he opened the UPS delivered package, the buttstock fell out in pieces. He fought with UPS for quite a while before they settled.

Good luck with the UPS Nazi's.

WB

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
M-39A

WELL, the seller called me this AM offering a refund, or accept the hassle to file a UPS claim on his end. After pondering my options, I elected to keep the carbine. It is nice, otherwise. After advising the seller that I might buy a replacement stock from Gun Parts, he cautioned that he has had mixed results ordering parts from them. Anyone else experience this ? Either that, or I'm more inclined to try one of several repair methods submitted on this site, or LeverGuns site. After looking the gun over this AM, my perspective seem to change, meaning that the break didn't seem to look as bad today as it did yesterday. Anyway, thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Unless you're dead set on a perfect example, kaintuck is tellin' ya straight - epoxy or gorilla glue will get you back in biz. I mean, it's only a 22 & recoil won't separate the bond. While I've never had trouble with gunparts.com, my 1st choice would be Marlin if you want a stock that hasn't been broken. For the break, it should be fresh enough that you wouldn't have to clean it. Just spread the break a little and use canned air or air from a compressor to gently get the glue as deep as you can into the break. Using two other pieces of wood as vise pads, clamp it firmly & leave for a couple of days. If done properly, the break can scarcely be seen when you finish.

USMC in '68? Spend any time in beautiful SE Asia? SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Stay clear of Gun Parts for thios item. You might end up with the right thing, or it might even end up being a pistol grip stock. Then they will let you pay shipping back to them, and pay for another, which may be right. Either way, their a hassle, and I speak from experience!
A repair can be pretty easy on a fresh break, and often almost unoticeable. I may have a straight grip stock, in my box of parts, so I'll check, and let you know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, folks. Your advice is well taken. I'm gonna go with a repair attempt as soon as I get possession (CA ten day waiting period). I'm just happy cuz I finally got one. Mr. HOGGER, 12 mos. Okinawa, 3D,1/4,POGG (plain old generic grunt). Thanks again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts