Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I tried to muscle in a new front sight on my 336. I just got a new sight system, the wgrs sight and the rear sight went on no problem but the front sight just didnt fit. I filed down on it awhile and it started into the dovetail. I was trying to tap it in when it let loose. I thought it was just the new sight but it was the entire front ramp. The screws that held the front ramp in stripped of but fortunatly for me the screws only made contact with only one set of threads. The screw just barely made contact with the barrel (just guessing but it only looked like the screw was half a turn in, the screws are only .17 inch long.)

Now my front dovetail wont hold the original front sight and I dont have screws to re-install the front ramp. Anyone know where I can get ahold of some new screws, This just happened late tonight so I will try marlin in the morning but has this happened to anyone else, just seems that the screws were to short for this setup to begin with but it might have saved me from really screwing up my gun.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Brownell's usually has them and will ship overnight if needed that soon.

You could also try Gunparts Corp. or Marlin directly.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Try your local gunshop they may have them and be a lot quicker to get them. If you damaged any of the hole threads you may have to do a tap with a larger screw.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Two things I learned the hard way long ago about replacing Marlin front sights -- never whomp on one while the ramp is on the barrel, and always file the base of the sight to make it fit, not the dovetail in the ramp.

So, how do I hold the ramp while removing/onstalling a new sight? I took a block of 2x4 wood and drilled/chiseled a slot in it that holds the ramp, with a hole drilled where the sight needs clearance as it comes out of the ramp. Works like a charm.

G

·
You also need to make sure that you insert the new blade into the dovetail from the right side of the ramp...

Right to Left, or you're screwed.

:eek:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Well I didnt know about the right to left bit but the sight wouldnt go in either direction.

I did find some screws that would work with some filling down so I have the ramp on and the new sight fits very snug so I will just use it as is for now. Probably will have to get a new ramp if I want a different front sight

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Been there, done that. As a teenager I knocked the ramp off a Win. 94 and had to get a 'smith to sweat it back on.

Many times the front sight will need shaping with a small triangular file in order to fit in the dovetail of the ramp. Just go slow so you don't file too much.

Yes, dovetails (American ones at least, can't speak for foreign designs) always drive in from the (shooter's) right side and out from the left.

I have a block of wood that works as pisgah describes. This stablizes the ramp and barrel so that the sight is the item that has to give. Also use a brass or copper punch and "tap" with a light hammer, not a framing hammer. :lol:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
One thing aout Marlin ramps that I've worked on is they seem to use just enough screw to hold the ramp on[short screws] so there's usually threads left to work with if you do something like that. I am a fair gunsmith but I am self taught which means I usually did the wrong thing first and had to learn to fix it and after 30-35 years I ran out of wrong decisions to make. :roll: whenever you need to file ,file the part not the gun or it's original parts.there is a tool that gently screws those sights into their dovetails but if your careful and go from right to left a good job can happen with a small hammer and brass,aluminum or plastic punch.Also get yourself some good screwdrivers for gunsmithing.Taking the sight off is a good idea use copper jaw covers and you can use a vise to hold it....You learned something that day wether you wanted to or not! :? :) Shootrj2003

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I finally got the replacement sight in but the setup still didnt work. The front sight that I put on was a good bit taller then the factory but I was still shooting about 5-6 inches high at 25 yards. This was with the wgrs sight at its lowest setting. Would have to have about a 1" tall front sight (not really but it would have to be real tall) and I just dont want to do that. Hate to do it but I will be putting a bushnell banner scope on the gun soon.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
You should look into a Williams or Lyman peep sight. They sit a bt lower on the reciever & often dont need a higher front. IMHO they look a good sight better as well. :)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

My 336 now wears a 4x32 millet compact scope. I am really happy with the way the gun handles with the scope and my accuracy from the bench has deffinatly improved, just have to work on off hand shooting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts