Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally connected with a decent set of bits at a gunshow on Sunday. Picked up a set of ten Chapman flat bits that should fit most common gun applications. These bits are unlike any I have seen before, with a very shallow depth of the blade, even on the tiniest. This should make for very strong blades. They are truly hollow ground. I was badly disappointed with both the B-Square and Lyman screw driver sets- I managed to tear up the blades from those on some old guns. The Lyman bits were down right sad- they have USA stamped on them, and they tore up just as bad as the Asian made B-Square bits. Nice thing about the Chapman bits is they have a slight hump at the center of the blade- good for use in screws that have curved slots. I will likely be ordering a deluxe set of Chapman bits in the near future. My bit set cost me 18 bucks, and best of all, I found out there is a dealer here who carries individual bits as well.
I posted this here, because old guns are where I run into screwdriver problems...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
84 Posts
Second the motion on those Chapmans Doc. I have a set and really like them.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
A gunsmith friend reccommended zchapman to me, when I was taking gunsmithing classes many years ago. I have used my set for about 20 years, and have only replaced two very small blades in that time.
They're the best gun screwdrivers around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts