Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man I just LOVE this thing. It's just as advertised, easy to ride with plenty of power. A couple of my neighbors and I rode a bit over 106 miles up the River Road then we took Highway 22 through French Settlement which is a very nice 45 - 55 MPH twisty road through the bayou with nice shade and low traffic. We ended up catching some heavy rain on I55 coming back south. Man that rain at 70MPH brought back memories of the hydro-blasting that was the norm on the SWCC boats back in the day. That I could deal with... but the lightening was freaking me out a bit.

I took a little ride on some washed out roads this afternoon to get an idea of how she handles off road. She's a bit clumsy at really slow speed in the dirt, but I was pretty impressed with how capable this bike is. My biggest complaint is that the rear brake caliper hangs down from the swingarm making for an easily damaged rear brake. Even so it's not likely that I would ever be riding in such rough terrain.

·
Premium Member
12,138 Posts
Parallel, they do surprisigly well in the dirt. I took mine on some pretty rough stuff. Someone was making a relocation bracket for that rear brake a few years ago, don't know if that's still the case.

Adventure Rider Motorcycle Forum has a long-going, years now, thread on Triumph Scramblers. Some guys on there have done some great things, riding and modifying, their Scramblers!

Here's a photos of my old Scrambler. The only real reason I moved on was that I needed a bigger, more comfortable bike for two-up riding, with a longer range. My Suzuki sure doesn't have the classy looks of the Triumph though!

Loaded for a three-day, 1200 mile riding & camping trip with some dirt roads too:

Yes, that's snow piled up on either side of the dirt road. I'd gone to aftermarket pipes by then:

Loved that little bike... sold it four years ago and miss it still. Enjoy yours!

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Loaded for a three-day, 1200 mile riding & camping trip with some dirt roads too:
Holy crap! 400 miles a day on THAT seat? Ironbutt should be your username... LOL.

We went again today and ended up riding about 175 miles and, let me tell ya... on THAT seat that is MORE than enough. We rode up old Hwy 51 to Ponchatoula where we jumped on Hwy 22 and headed East to Madisonville. Had an awesome lunch at Morton's Seafood Restaurant then headed back West on Hwy 22 to catch LA445 North to visit Santa and Mrs Claus (see pics and explanation below). Then we headed west on LA 16 to Amite where we picked up Hwy 51 and headed back South. For the second time in as many rides we caught rain heading back South near I55. This time however we were down on old Hwy 51 where the speed limit is 55MPH and it's a damned good thing we were. The crosswinds were VERY strong and my bike, having a high profile and being relatively light, was blowing all over the road. At the top of the bridge by Middendorf's Restaurant the wind literally slid the front wheel of my bike across the road. I had to slow down to about 50MPH to keep both wheels on track. Perhaps the next ride we'll stay dry the whole ride... but if not, oh well... it's fun anyway.

Mr and Mrs Santa Clause just happens to be my Wife's Uncle and Aunt.

Contrary to popular belief, Santa lives in South Louisiana. :D

He also has a healthy respect for the 2cd... LOL.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
I knew OZ would onto this,being one of those T bikes :biggrin:. Great lookin scrambler Parallel, good to se ya using it as it should be.

Pard now ya talkin, that sure is a great lookin pic there, and the scrambler aint bad either:biggrin:.
Thats the first 450 scrambler I have had the pleasure to see, is it still in that condition.

GUS

·
Registered
407 Posts
Fella's;

I don't know how the seats are on the current Triumph Scrambler, but the 75 Bonneville I had (bought new too!) was comfortable enough. The scrambler that's interesting to me now is the new Ducaiti. Old style looks and a modern V-twin with fuel injection and oil-tight cases. Seems to have a reasonable price too, under 9 grand I think.

900F

·
Registered
900 Posts
I love Triumphs in general and had the chance to ride one as a loaner while my bike was in the shop. I really enjoyed it as it was so different from my Tiger 1050. Thanks for sharing some pictures.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Fella's;

One of the major motorcycle magazines did a comparison test between the established Triumph scrambler and the new Ducati bike. The conclusion was that if you want street comfort and totally traditional style, go Triumph. If you want performance, either street or dirt, go Ducati.

900F

·
Premium Member
12,138 Posts
I'd agree with that, without even having ridden the Ducati.

Owned the Triumph Scrambler for three years and enjoyed the heck out of it, but a Ducati it isn't...

Guy

·
Registered
407 Posts
Fella's;

I'll try to find the exact issue the test was in, but it wasn't the jaw-dropping performance advantage, because it wasn't there. The Duc has more beans, but they didn't put one of their OMG engines in it. They loved the chassis and brakes though.

900F

·
Registered
900 Posts
I haven't seen the new Duc scrambler in person yet but it looks interesting. I can't look at one at the dealership because it might be parked near a Multistrada and I could succumb to it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Flyfish;

Yeah, I'm just about at the edge of my personal "limber" envelope concerning my bike. I'm starting to get more than stray thoughts about the new Multistrada. Either Cycle World or Motorcyclist just did a test on it. A very enthusiastically positive test too I might add. Now I know I'm going to have a problem finding the stray money to go with the stray thoughts.

900F

·
Premium Member
12,138 Posts
Up in the hills, Springtime on the Suzuki:

Is it a "Scrambler" - I don't know. About the same weight as my Triumph Scrambler 900. High pipe. V-Twin, liquid cooled. Too much fairing to be a real Scrambler. Decent suspension. Pretty good on dirt roads. Thankfully.

Not this year's photo, am still on doctor's orders not to play with any of my two-wheeled toys for a few more weeks. Phooey.

Sure am doing a lot of thinking about riding though! :biggrin:

Guy

·
Registered
407 Posts
Fella's;

The comparison test was in the March 2015 issue of Cycle World. On the cover it's got a picture of the Scrambler on the road, and the tag line to the picture reads:

DUCATI WANTS YOUR SOUL. The Scrambler is why you should give it to them.

As I said, a pretty positive test.

900F

1 - 20 of 33 Posts