Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once I get rid of this remlin and get my real rifle . Im flirting with ideal of mounting a scout scope . Wanted the pros and cons . The rifle will be used for hog hunting and deer hunting . With shots at the longest being 100 yards . Thanks for all the knowledge guys . I know this has probably been talked about on here quite extensively .

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Cooper's way of thinking???

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Yup! I love my 336 Scout and Ruger Scout. I will be buying a Springfield M1A scout soon.

I feel the 336 scout setup balances very well and I like it a touch better than the gunsite.

Also for a scope it is hard to beat the Leatherwood 2-7 LER scope for the price. Very nice scope.
bad dust and GSR 015.JPG hunting 002.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you like them then . I will save for decent glass and a xs rail system . Wanted to shoot tighter groups than iron sights . Didn't know if peep sights would accomplish the same at 100 yards . Thanks for responding .

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I have used an Enfield with a scout scope.

It has the benefit of being able to get on target fast (but not as fast as a red-dot) but is more accurate than a red-dot. I'm not sure how it would compare for accuracy with a regular scope mount

·
Registered
1,590 Posts

It has the benefit of being able to get on target fast (but not as fast as a red-dot) but is more accurate than a red-dot. I'm not sure how it would compare for accuracy with a regular scope mount
I get 1.25 to 1.5 MOA groups with my 336 and leverevolution ammo at 100 yards.

I wouldnt say it effects accuracy at all.

Reactions: mrguvna

·
Registered
1,710 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dirty Harry thanks for that and beautiful rifles . I like what you said it balances well . I'm getting excited and worked up over here lol
The scout scope I believe would work great in low light if I spend the money . That's when the game seem to be on the move I have poor night vision so a good scope would help .

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
So you like them then . I will save for decent glass and a xs rail system . Wanted to shoot tighter groups than iron sights . Didn't know if peep sights would accomplish the same at 100 yards . Thanks for responding .
Peep sights usually will outshoot the irons that come with the rifles.

Honestly if you get the leatherwood scope and XS rail your looking at less than $200. Very affordable.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Reactions: BuffaloBob

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Peep sights usually will outshoot the irons that come with the rifles.

Honestly if you get the leatherwood scope and XS rail your looking at less than $200. Very affordable.
I will deff look into leatherwood . 200 dollars I could do today . Everyone I know says I was looking at around 500 bucks for a decent set up . The less coin the better . I would have enough left over to get a custom leather buttstock cover .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thank you . Quick acquisition is what you need for hogs .
I will deff research enfield .

·
Premium Member
7,693 Posts
I am A big fan of the Scout set up. I have 2 Leupold 2.5x scouts and 1 Leatherwood 2x7. Both are good but I prefer the leatherwood although it is A little heavier. I need to switch the 2x7 from the 30-30 to the .308.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
How you liking the GSR Gater?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am A big fan of the Scout set up. I have 2 Leupold 2.5x scouts and 1 Leatherwood 2x7. Both are good but I prefer the leatherwood although it is A little heavier. I need to switch the 2x7 from the 30-30 to the .308.
Witch one works better in low light conditions ? Thank you in advance

1 - 20 of 79 Posts