Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I'd like to put a scout scope on my Guide Gun. It seems that nobody offers an adjustable power scout scope, but many make adjustable power handgun scopes.

Has anyone successfully mounted a handgun scope on a levergun to be used as a scout scope? It seems the eye relief would be about right.

Recoil was a concern, but I've seen good pistol scopes (Leupold) take a beating on some big bore revolvers.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
661 Posts
FWIW, Leupold makes a variable power scout scope. It's new, but they offer it now.

I tried a fixed power pistol scope on my scout mount on the GBL and it fairly sucked. Not good at all. Small window of visibility and a mostly black view, unless you got it just right.

Popped a Leupold FX II 2.5x scout scope on the rail and it was an epiphany! Total satisfaction.

·
Registered
549 Posts
It all depends on the eye relief spec's for the scope that you're using. Bushnell 2X6 pistol scope, used on a TC 45/70 pistol for a couple years and no probs so far on it's new home. A 16" "Micro SBL".

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
I had A weaver variable handgun scope on my GS. It worked but not very well. The leupold Scout is great.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i have a 3-12 burris #200308 on a stlb 45-70. it couldnt work any better. also have a nikon 2.5-8 #6569 and it is just as good on another stlb.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Although not a scout scope you should look at a weaver 1-3x20, 87 ft field of view at 1x and you can shoot with both eyes open.$144 at natchez right now.

·
Registered
821 Posts
im going to be watching the scout scope deal. i just bought the complete xs rail and sight setup for my 1895GBL. i love a traditional scope and have always used them with both eyes open for faster target acquisition so i find the scout ordeal interesting. i just dont like how they look. so now i need for my 1895GBL to get here and the sights. its just a shame that the QR rings have to be so expensive.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys,

I'll be honest, one of my biggest draws to lever guns is how easily they carry in the field. With their balance point at the front of the receiver, and being so thin, it makes a perfect spot to wrap your hand around and carry.

The reason I'm looking for a scout scope is to keep that area "open" for my hand to carry the rifle. I'm also considering an micro Aimpoint, but would like a bit of magnification for hunting.

The Leupold adjustable needs to be too close to the receiver for my intended hand placement. If I were to go that route, I'd just go for a regular 1-4x traditional scope.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Ive based scope choices on a lot of things, but never how it carries on the rifle. I have the 1-4 variable Leupold scope and mounting forward of the reciever is doable. With short arms my preferense is back further though. I position my scopes based on being able to lever the gun still mounted to the shoulder without loosing the sight picture. Yes the variable will sit back further than the fixed.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a one inch tubed M8 Leupold 2x ER blued scope available that I will be selling soon. It came on top of a High Standard Victor 22 LR pistol I recently purchased. I can't use a scope that has more than 1x magnification in competition, so it will be sold eventually.

According to my Gun Digests scope reference section a Leupold 2x ER has an eye relief of 12-20 inches

The 2x ER Leupold is in VG++. It didn't take much abuse aboard a 22 LR target pistol that was hardly shot. It has a duplex reticle. $175, shipped (lower 48).

·
Registered
189 Posts
I put a Burris 2X7 Pistol Scope on my Guide to use in Africa and it worked quite well for me allowing me to make some over 200 yard shots that would have been much harder with the 2.5 scout scope. Keep in mind that higher power will have a smaller field of view. again I didnt mind that either. I love my setup so much I put a 4X pistol scope on my M39 .22.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Theleatherman said:
I put a Burris 2X7 Pistol Scope on my Guide to use in Africa and it worked quite well for me allowing me to make some over 200 yard shots that would have been much harder with the 2.5 scout scope. Keep in mind that higher power will have a smaller field of view. again I didnt mind that either. I love my setup so much I put a 4X pistol scope on my M39 .22.
Please tell me about those cheek pads on the comb!

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Theleatherman said:
Spectacular guns, Leatherman. I had not seen that setting before ... but 200+ yards shots with a 18,5" barrel gun?, what cartridge did you use?

Cheers

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks guys. The comb raisers are my own product I sell on my web site www.accu-riser.com. I am currently out of the walnut version but hope to have more in a month. The Guide gun is a Wild West Alaskan guide in .457 magnum. I settled on a load pushing a Swift A-frame 350grain at 1945fps. This being the most accurate and I didnt like the heavier loads recoil. You can get 300 and 350 grain bullets faster in a 45-70 but like I said I didnt like the added recoil. I have the balistic crosshairs in my scope and I sighted the top main one at 100 yds. The second was on at 150 yds and the third was on at 200. My local rifle range only went to 200 yds so I didnt shoot it any farther, I really didnt expect to shoot any farther than 150 yds. but where I went in South Africa there was very little brush. Mostly rock. Those animals were extremely hard to get close to sometimes. But it made for some memorable stalks and shots. I am going back again next June and takeing a 270 and a traditional flintlock rifle in .58 cal. If I can get up to within 100 yds I will use the flintlock and If I see something I cant refuse beyond, the 270 will come into play.

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Theleatherman said:
Thanks guys. The comb raisers are my own product I sell on my web site www.accu-riser.com. I am currently out of the walnut version but hope to have more in a month. The Guide gun is a Wild West Alaskan guide in .457 magnum. I settled on a load pushing a Swift A-frame 350grain at 1945fps. This being the most accurate and I didnt like the heavier loads recoil. You can get 300 and 350 grain bullets faster in a 45-70 but like I said I didnt like the added recoil. I have the balistic crosshairs in my scope and I sighted the top main one at 100 yds. The second was on at 150 yds and the third was on at 200. My local rifle range only went to 200 yds so I didnt shoot it any farther, I really didnt expect to shoot any farther than 150 yds. but where I went in South Africa there was very little brush. Mostly rock. Those animals were extremely hard to get close to sometimes. But it made for some memorable stalks and shots. I am going back again next June and takeing a 270 and a traditional flintlock rifle in .58 cal. If I can get up to within 100 yds I will use the flintlock and If I see something I cant refuse beyond, the 270 will come into play.
Thanks Leatherman, all I can say is I can't stop looking at your guns, they are amazingly handsome :eek:. They make my Marlinitis even more severe :D.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts