Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy at work swapped me a Burris 2-7 'pistol' scope on some TC Encore stuff I had. I'm wondering if it will work for a scout scope set up? Seems to have about 10" of eye relief, give or take a bit. Will that work with a Weaver-type scout base that uses the front scope mount holes and the rear sight dovetail? If that type base will work, where can I get one? Don't want to have the barrel D&T'ed.
Sorry, I'm sure a lot of this may have already been answered before, but I wasn't really interested til just lately and can't find much in a search for it. Answers or links either would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
Hawg'r, ten inches is just about perfect for a Scout Scope setup, and that's what I have on two of my 1894's. I absolutely LOVE it.......fast to acquire a target picture, just like open sights, and natural to use for fast shooting. I have the XS rails on both guns, and mounting the bases was a snap once you get the front base stud in place. Both guns have seen several thousand rounds, and neither has moved so much as a whisker.

One suggestion.........buy the quick-detach rings, that way if you ever want to revert to the iron sights, you can do it quickly. I have a peep sight on my 1894SS, and I can switch between them with NO loss of zero. Clamp the scope back on, and it's right where it was before. Pretty sweet setup, and FAST for snap-shooting. In the deer woods it's about as good as it gets. 8)

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!!
I'll check the local shops to see if anybody has that base, if not I'll get one ordered.

PJ, what are you calling quick detach rings? I have a set of Weaver Quad rings I was thinkin about using, but if some others are better I'll check on them too.

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
Hawg'r, I don't recall the name or brand, but they're the ones with levers instead of the big thumbnuts on the side, you push the levers down and they come loose quick. The guys at your local funshop will know what they are, and who makes them. 8)

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Them's the ones I thought you meant PJ, but wasn't sure. Off work today so think I'll hit a few places and see what the guns/parts pushers have in stock.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
papajohn said:
Hawg'r, I don't recall the name or brand, but they're the ones with levers instead of the big thumbnuts on the side, you push the levers down and they come loose quick. The guys at your local funshop will know what they are, and who makes them. 8)
A.R.M.S.?

Jon

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Didn't find a scout mount today, only one guy even knew what I was talkin about. Reckon I'll dig out my Midway catalog and order from them. Probly check on the rings too, I forgot to look for them today. ::)

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hawg'r - I have that Burris scope with an XS Lever Scout rail on my 1895 Guide Gun (45-70), and red dot on my 1894. It has served me VERY well and I have put some stout loads thru the Guide Gun. Love the set up because I can switch out scopes very fast, or use the Williams peep sight mounted at rear of the receiver. You will love it. I Particularly like it because I can target shoot and plink with the 1894, and keep the same ergonomics and muscle memory for shooting the GG. You will find you can send a lot of rounds down range accurately, very quickly with the Burris setup at 2 1/2 power - or bench shoot at 7 power, or use the high magnification when hunting the way you would binoculars. Have fun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts