Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you here have a Marlin set up as a scout rifle/general purpose rifle?
Mine is in the process, but I wanted input before I finish. I've got a 336CS in 30-30 that has the Brockmans Custom Guns ghost ring sight (stock front for now), the large loop lever from WWG, and will soon be getting the scout scope mount from WWG as well. I would really like the rear ghost ring sight from WWG, but it seems hard to get for the 336 :( . I'm also thinking about the cartridge trap from Brockmans, but I'm kinda wondering if that might not be overkill.......
My next project is probably going to be a 'Spikehorn' model, with the abbreviated buttstck replaced with a full sized unit. I really want the shrther barrel, but at this time can't justify modifying a perfectly good rifle. Not when I could have 2 perfectly good rifles :D !

Found the date: October 1996, SOF
Bones

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was thinking of setting up a Spikhorn as well. Called Marlin and they will sell a stock for about $90. Does the new stock fit in to the Spikehorn without any fitting or does it need fitting. Forgot to ask them that question. Maybe they will come out with a Spikhorn with a "normal" pull...13.5".

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
The Spikehorn is a good choice for a lever scout rifle. The 12 1/2 inch pull is a great length and works well with a Ching Sling. I have not modified a Marlin for the swivel just in front of the action yet. (Have too many projects in the fire.) Now where can I get a Spikehorn ....

My Rem. 700 Scout rifle project is very handy with the youth stock, Leupold scout scope mounted on the barrel and I am six feet tall. You look with both eyes open and the rifle comes up with the x-hair on the target. That is also why AR's have adj. stocks for length of pull.

Good luck with your projects! Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'am using my Marlin LTS in .30-30 as my "scout" rifle. It is basically the same as the Marauder. I would definitely look at the Spikehorn as a basis for a scout rifle. Parley

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone know where I can get a copy of the "Lethal Levers" article in SOF magazine fromWAY back? Anyone know the article I'm asking about? I had an issue, but I've moved quite a bit in the last few years and that issue dissappeared! I've looked on their site, and they don't provide a back issue for that copy.

Bones

·
Registered
356 Posts
As an addenun {?} to Oldbones question - has anyone ever seen or installed a scout scope array using the forward D&T scope mount holes and a D&T''d rear sight blank? I really didn't want to drill more holes in the barrel like the Brockman set-up.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have seen then, and I like them, I would like to keep teh scope closer to the center of gravity, and I don't have a factory rear sight, it's a blank, and I have a reciever peep. You don't suppose just using the two holes available would work, do you?

This would work for my 1895, if I were to keep the rear sight. but I don't know that I am scopeing that yet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure......
I know that the AO LEVER SCOUT MOUNT uses the two front holes in the Marlin receiver, and the stock sight dovetail in the barrel. Works great, but (personal preference) I don't like the looks.
You might want to check with those two companies (Brockmans, and WWG)to see what they would suggest. I've gotten good info from them myself.

I know it's a bit of overkill, but I've been considering looking into having a custom barrel made with the mount integral with the barrel itself. I haven't yet checked into it, but I know it can be done. At what expense.....?

Bones

·
Registered
4 Posts
Spikehorn stock length

Rambling thoughts- Why not put a 1" magnum pad on the Spikehorn for summer time shooting. Maybe a slip on too. Winter time with lots of cloths on you may find the stock just the right length. Just a thought!

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Here is a good link to scout rifle information The Scout Rifle Archive

Ted is a scout rifle builder that prefers to make the scope bases as part of the rifle barrel that will accept Talley QD rings. His information is listed on the site linked above. Brockmans and a few others are listed as custom and semi-custom builders

Hope this helps! Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it helps me 'find' a barrel with the scout scope 'base' built in, it will definitely help !!!!!!!!!! I posed a question on my site about barrels set up this way just yesterday. I'll take a look!

Bones

·
Registered
356 Posts
OldBones 30-30 thanks for reminding me about the AO Scout mount - that is the one I want. (They say) Perfect fit to front scope holes and rear sight dovetail - no gun smithing involved. And they list separate part numbers for 30-30/.35 Rem and 1895, so I trust them to have the right dimensions. For now, I just want it for my .35 Rem.

Again - thanks for the reminder, I knew I had seen it somewhere!

·
Registered
670 Posts
NS

OldeBones 30-30,

Was the link that I posted to you re: the SOF magazine
article the correct one? I hope so. Just curious since I
haven't heard anything further.

ANNABELLE :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry Annabelle! I get side tracked sometimes when I'm browsing! It was the right page, but not the 'exact' article I was looking for (but one I am looking for as well). The Brockman's site shows the articles name ect, but doesn't link to it like one would expect :( . I thank you though as I'm looking for that article too!

Bones

·
Registered
670 Posts
ns

OldeBones 30-30,
Well, at least I was some help; just wish it coulda' been the main
article you are looking for. Oh well.....we'll keep our eyes open
and give ya a holler if we run across another possibility.

ANNABELLE

·
Registered
33 Posts
Lethal Levers

OldBones, I think I have the artical you are looking for if it's writen by Peter Kokalis in the Oct. 96 SOF. I have the mag. Let me know and I'll e-mail it to you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a Marlin 336T with an 18.5" barrel with the AO mount and a Leupold Scout scope on it. It is a very trick rifle. I like it more all the time and everyone I hand it to wants to buy it. My 243 sat out last year's deer season due to the lever scout.
My shots are usually less than 100 yards in the woods and I have about decided the lever scout is the perfect set up east of the Mississippi.
The AO mount is no problem to install.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey again everyone!

Turtle, I would definitely appreciate the article! You wouldn't believe how hard I've been trying to find my copy!
Dave, I'm glad to hear of someone enjoying their rifle set up this way!

Bones

1 - 20 of 22 Posts