Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just dropped Midway a note asking them to add the PayPal method of payment to the internet order items. I and many of my friends use PayPal as our "Hidden Money Stash" to buy our goodies. Would anyone else like to see this? Getting back to the Subject, anyone out there have or know where I can get the Scout Mount for the 336 using PayPal? I have deceided to put the 4X32 on the 336D......................Boy I could hear the teeth grinding from here, cut me some slack there guys, not as young as I used to be and the eyes are gettin nothing but worse.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Hiya Mike, wish I could help but the only place I know that uses paypal is e-bay. Try them for a mount, you never know. I'm waiting on some cash right now for a scout scope for my 1894SS, I already have the mount. BTW, my first mount was ordered directly from XS/AO, fifty bucks plus seven more for shipping. My FFL got my next one for $35.00 and no shipping. $22.00 difference, I won't make THAT mistake again! :roll:

Papajohn

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
This is probably a dumb question. But I've seen lots of references to a "scout mount" for Marlins.

What is a scout mount? Is it a rerference to a specific Marlin "scout" rifle? OR is it a manufactuerer of a scope mount.

signed

always loved guns but I'm just getting into the real deal.

·
Registered
76 Posts
flyingfool,
A scout mount has become kind of a generic term (although a true "scout rifle" has to adhere to a very specific set of guidlines to qualify as such) for a low power scope mounted forward of the reciever. There are a couple of companies that make the mount for the marlin levers. The simplest to mount is the one from XS Sight Systems, as it does not require any drilling or tapping (beyond what's done at the factory) to install. Here is a link to a thread of mine where I posted a pic of one of my rifles with a scout scope. http://www.marlinowners.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=4025

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
What I think I'd like is a scope mount that puts the rear of the scope just ahead of the hammer. This to me would seem to put the balance of the rifle in pretty good distribution fore and aft yet also eliminate the need for a hammer spur or interference with a gloved thumb and the hammer.

Do you know of a mounting base/rings that would acheive my goal?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm not sure of what mount you will need, but eye relief will obviously be something you need to consider as well. As far as balance, mine balances at the front of the reciever, but that could be different in your case, depending on your rifle specs. Mine has a 20 inch barrel. The other nice thing is that you can carry it by the receiver, if you want, since the scope is not in the way. I'm not trying to sway you, really; just giving you some more info to consider.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Flyingfool.

a gentle on this forum which goes by Big Redhead makes a mounting system that you are looking for. He sells them, but unsure of the price. He also has pics which show it. It uses an intemediate eye relief scope. I don't know if he is still doing it but there are many favorable posts from thos who have purchased them.

Good luck and good shootin'

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Flyingfool.

a gentleman on this forum who goes by Big Redhead makes a mounting system that you are looking for. He sells them, but unsure of the price. He also has pics which show it. It uses an intemediate eye relief scope. I don't know if he is still doing it but there are many favorable posts from thos who have purchased them.

Good luck and good shootin'

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey BigRed,
Are ya out there? Are ya still makin the "scout mount" If you would be willing to accept paypal I am game. Whats your price? It baffles me that more online folks dont accept paypal. Damn ya even get $5.00 credit to open an account. Been a member for the past 4 years and not a problem at all. I did have a fraud problem on my AMEX (never used online) and the AMEX folks called me with inconsistant purchase pattern. LIKE THAT!. Personally I think that online ordering is more secure than the phone. There are times that I can hear my neighbor on my phones and LOTS of times pick up calls on my CB. Now thats secure!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts