Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got lucky today and these two came home with me today!

from the serial, its a 1969 Glenfield in 35 Remington. looks to be in really fantastic shape with minimal scuffs on the wood, but I'm planning on refinishing the wood anyway.. there looks like there's a lot of figure going on under there, cant wait to tear into it and see what comes out! I'm tickled over the $300 price i ended up paying for it!

the other, 1893, in 30-30 Is gonna be a complete restoration project for myself. I'm pretty sure there's not going to be any collectors value in it ever again as someone completely bubba'd up the top by drilling a hole for some reason, right in the top of the receiver,, and did a REALLY crappy job.. but I can fix it pretty much, but everything else looks really good, the metal and bore look great, but showing lots of wear, I see the diamond under the dirt.. but that one is for another thread. off to figure out the age of it... serial # hunt, here i come..and get this... seriously... paid $150.00 !!

Gun Shotgun Antique tool Gun barrel Air gun
Gun Shotgun Tool Wood Air gun
Gun Shotgun Trigger Air gun

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im happy. Im a vendor there, so I will be back tomorrow.. he does have a few misc marlins still on the rack Im going to really look at also.
He told me he recently got a pile of rifles from an estate sale, and he is unloading them.. the 1893 had a price tag of $350, then scratched out to 250. He said he dropped the price because of the hole in the top... he said he was willing to move on the price and make an offer.... I said $150, he said DONE.. I said GREAT, shook hands and finished the deal.

The Glenfield, he said he cant get marlin prices because its a Glenfield, marked at 350, I offered 300, and a quick handshake later, I was leaving with two new toys!

I love that guy!

·
Registered
23 Posts
You did r-e-a-l good. That 35 has some beautiful wood just as it is. I wouldn't touch it. It looks to be in great condition.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am thinking you might be right. there are some minor scuffs and saddle rash, and overall just kinda dull, but being that its a birch stock. I don't want to make it too blonde and go thru the hassle of refinishing completely, as birch is picky about stains.
There are no dings, pits or damage, just superficial issues, I may just lightly scotch-brite the furniture and apply a decent satin finish or hand rub on a few light coats of tru oil coat to even everything out and hide the scuff marks.. just give it a mild reconditioning..
:hmmmm:

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
I am thinking you might be right. there are some minor scuffs and saddle rash, and overall just kinda dull, but being that its a birch stock. I don't want to make it too blonde and go thru the hassle of refinishing completely, as birch is picky about stains.
There are no dings, pits or damage, just superficial issues, I may just lightly scotch-brite the furniture and apply a decent satin finish or hand rub on a few light coats of tru oil coat to even everything out and hide the scuff marks.. just give it a mild reconditioning..
:hmmmm:
Great find. You are gonna love the 35 Remington round and that Glenfield is a beauty. I would also just leave the wood as it is and rub some gun wax on it and shoot it.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im still giddy, cant believe my luck today!

Reactions: JMAG54

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
A Glenny 30 in 35 Rem is a very rare bird. They were only made for a few years and only a few thousand were produced. I have one that was made in 1966 and is my favorite 35 Rem carbine.

Reactions: flatsneck

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A Glenny 30 in 35 Rem is a very rare bird. They were only made for a few years and only a few thousand were produced. I have one that was made in 1966 and is my favorite 35 Rem carbine.
Wow! thanks for that info! I was not aware of their limited quantity, looks like I got a lot more research to do! maybe i scored a little more than i originally thought!

and I really do like the 35 Rem. dad and a few friends have some in that cal, and Ive shot them a fair amount, but this is officially my first one.

on the way to the store for new reloading dies!

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Two great deals ! Congratulations!

Reactions: flatsneck
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.