Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went by my 2nd favorite pawn shop today and scored again. I found an almost LNIB 1894CS, with Weaver bases, and rings, hammerspur and 3X9 Tasco scope for $350.00 out the door. Serial # was 050XXXXX. Of course it was a JM make and not a Remlin. I have another 1894C but not as nice as this one. I think I'll see if I can sell it and make some profit now. Henry. Does anyone in Coastal or Middle Georgia need a used 1894C?

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts

Keep it, Henry Several of us have more than one 94C. My most used 94C goes with me everywhere, my truck gun, although it is not beaten around like most truck guns. ;D

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
What caliber is it?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Henry Bowman said:
I have another 1894C but not as nice as this one. I think I'll see if I can sell it and make some profit now. Henry. Does anyone in Coastal or Middle Georgia need a used 1894C?
Is your 1894C .357? If so, I would like to know the age of it and see photos, and would be very interested in it. I’m no where near Georgia, but that’s what FFL’s are for.

·
Registered
313 Posts
44-40 Willy said:
The 1894C, CS, CSS & CP are all 357 Magnum.
I thought the 1894C came in all three calibers. If it is just 1894C, that definitely means it is .357?

I’ve probably asked this question before, but I’m still finding the naming system of the Marlins a little confusing.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
It's pretty easy once you get the basic idea.

1894C basic 357 carbine
1894CS what they called it when the crossbolt safety first came out.
1894CSS stainless steel version
1894CP 357 with a 16" ported barrel.

·
Registered
313 Posts
44-40 Willy said:
It's pretty easy once you get the basic idea.

1894C basic 357 carbine
1894CS what they called it when the crossbolt safety first came out.
1894CSS stainless steel version
1894CP 357 with a 16" ported barrel.
Thanks Willy. The helps. The fact that “C” designates .357 is now embedded in my brain. I was pretty sure what the CS stood for, and I’d read where they dropped the “S” part of the designation, but still maintained the cross bolt safety. I knew SS stood for stainless steel. That seems to be common among all gun manufactures that offer stainless steel. It is a lot easier to find an 1894CSS than it is to find one blued, which is what I want. Not interested in a ported barrel, so anything with a “P” in the designation is now automatically passed over. :)

peacem8kers said:
For those anxious to learn more, Willy wrote a longer list posted here:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,495.0.html
Thanks for the link peacem8kers. Some real in depth info there. I printed all the info I deemed pertinent to what I’m looking for. It also confirmed what the guy at the LGS told me about the 1894CS being manufactured between 1984 and 2001. Sure wish that deal went thru. Was supposed to be NIB.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Keep in mind that the Marlin 101 file is a constant work in progress as new info comes to my attention. I need to get the latest version to Larry so he can update here

·
Registered
313 Posts
That’s a lot of work to put something like that together. Something one would think gun manufactures would deem important enough to have up on their own web sites. Thanks for doing it. It helps me out a lot, and I’m sure it helps others too.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
It started out as just a pocket list to keep a few things straight in my head when looking at 1894s and grew from there. Regardless, I believe in sharing good info with others who can use it.

And I did have a lot of help with it from various collectors.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
They were listed in the Marlin catalog as the Cowboy II. A lot of times, that's all I have to go by. Not many collectors deal with the newer guns so I have to get my info where I can. They've also used different roll stamps at different times. My 1894D Cowboy Carbine Limited (CCL) was listed as such on the box and the paperwork that came with the rifle. It actually says Cowboy Limited on the barrel. I believe that they used up the last of the regular 44-40 octagon barrels up by shortening them up 4" for the CCL.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts