Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the gun show with a rifle that hadn't been out of the safe in 15 years and came home with an 1894 in .44 and some $ to boot. :D

Now I've got to decide what sights to put on the little fellow as my 55 year old eyes no comprende buckhorn sights and I think scopes are an abomination on a lever gun. I'm thinking a set of XS sights are in it's future.

Does anyone have any advise about this little .44 and it's care and feeding? Right now my go to bullet for the .44 is a 429421 but I'm thinking about buying a mold for a 265gr gas checked bullet from NOE, will that work with the 1894's barrel? This rifle has Ballard rifling BTW.

Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
My 1894P likes Winchester White box 240 gr JSP's. It shoots MOA with them, and has killed everything It's shot with them (deer & hogs). That is my "go to" ammo for the Marlin. LeveRevolution groups just slightly larger (~1.5").

My Ruger .44 carbine does just the opposite and groups just barely better with LeveRevolution, but its not as accurate as the Marlin.

Luis

Reactions: Rick R

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Congratulations on a great find. No experience with the 44 mag levers. My Model 69 also likes the white box 240 grains as well and the hard cast Buffalo Bore in 255 grains. Enjoy and please post as you develop your loads and results.

·
Registered
360 Posts
what a happy day at the gun show!

I only use one load in my 1894S, and that is a handloaded 270 grain Speer GDSP, over H110 Powder. I use a CCI Mag primer. This load shows 1625 FPS in my rifle, and the accuracy is outstanding. Clover leaf groups at 50 yards, less than 1.5 inches at 100 yards.
It is a proven killer on white tails and on hogs.
Scope on mine is a Nikon Monarch African ,1-4X. The glass is clear, and works well in low light. I do a lot of hunting in dim swamps, and this scope does the job.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I managed to get some time at the local range today and the rifle does like Winchester's white box 240gr load. I managed a 1" group at 50 yards with the issue sights and several equal groups with my 429421 bullet over Alliant's 2400. Feeds the SWC as slick as can be too, looks like I was pretty lucky.

Mannlicher,
NOE"s version of Ranch Dog's 265gr bullet should be a good home brew equivalent to the 270gr Gold Dot. All the Speer pistol bullets are scarce as hen's teeth in my neck of the woods. I hope I'm half as happy as you seem to be with your load.

I'm ordering a set of XS sights tonite, hopefully the big brown truck will be swift.

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
congrats on the new puppy

Reactions: Rick R
1 - 6 of 6 Posts