Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
I鈥檓 at my local indoor range to test a 7.62x39 rifle. I look down in front of my lane & see about 18 45-70 cases. As I pulled them in I鈥檓 thinking a non-Reloader especially when the first 6 were Hornady
馃槥. But the rest were Win and FC! These cases had been reloaded.
What's wrong with Hornady brass?

Reactions: Marlinjunkie

Registered
The cases will be shorter for most reloads, if the Hornady FTX LEVERevolution bullets were used. Not all Hornady brass is short.
That was my point. Not all Hornady brass is short. Factory loads with the 350gr FP are standard length I believe. 325gr FTX are the short ones. Of course Hornady component brass is standard length too.

Reactions: Bearcat 74

Registered
I thought brass found with an unknown history (don't know how many times it has been reloaded) was taboo?

Registered
I am a opportunity brass scrounger and take a bucket, "nut picker" https://www.brownells.com/shooting-...rs-deflectors/brass-retriever-prod109667.aspx and long reach tongs to our local rod and gun. Over the past several years I have collected enough 9mm, 40 and 45 brass to probably never have to buy brass again. Periodically find a lot of 556/223 brass and an odd assortment of rifle brass. What I don't reload I crush and sell to the local metal recycler. Wouldn't make a living but does bring spare change. By the way, I am retired!!!

Registered
Nice find. I always pick up brass . I have enough to last the rest of my lifetime in the calibers I have. It's the one expense that I don't have to accrue. However I have bought quite a few starline brass for my 45-70.

Reactions: kah64

Registered
I remember watching a guy burn through a box of Winchester 45acp ball at an outdoor range I used to visit. A bunch of guys in the next bay watched as he packed up and as soon as he was in his car they were all over that brass like chickens to scratch! I got a good chuckle.....

Keith

Registered
In all the years of brass picking, I have never found a 45-70. I did get some a year ago at the range. I was shooting my 1895 guide gun, and one of the other shooters asked if I wanted some ammo for it. Someone had given him some and he didn't have a 45-70. Got 18 rounds of Hornady Leverevolution and a full box of old green box Remington 405gr. soft point in great shape.
About six months ago, another person came up to me an asked if I shoot 44 special. I said sure and he gave me plastic bag with 150 once fired Starline brass from Georgia Arms loads. Went I got home, I found underneath the 44 special brass a bag with about 200 38spl cases. I put that in the " Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" category.
Anyway, since I retired 2 1/2 years ago, brass picking has become much more important to save money. Finding a pile of 45-70 would be the Holy Grail of brass finds for me.

Registered
I remember watching a guy burn through a box of Winchester 45acp ball at an outdoor range I used to visit. A bunch of guys in the next bay watched as he packed up and as soon as he was in his car they were all over that brass like chickens to scratch! I got a good chuckle.....

Keith
Mom and I were eating at a burger/beer/pizza joint for lunch one day. There was a large office luncheon going on at one of the large tables, around 14 people.

Three guys walked in, placed their order and sat at a nearby table.

Even before the luncheon broke up, one of the three guys stood up and actually stood there and waited for the last four guys to leave. Before the four guys even got to the door, this guy was collecting every left over piece of pizza on their table. He even took one of their pizza tins to pile his booty onto. Then he went over to the kitchen counter to get a go box. The two guys he was with were obviously embarrassed by this whole thing.

Made me wonder if this guy had a woman other than his mother, in his life.

Back on topic; I usually don't pick up range brass unless I know the brass was factory loaded. Usually one can tell by careful observation.

I just don't like having odd numbers of mixed headstamps of unknown origin.

Registered
All the brass I leave at the range has been shot many times and not really suitable for reloading. I leave it for the range officer who sells brass by the pound. It's always possible that someone goes through the buckets and takes some of my brass but its not left for that purpose.

I have picked up brass from the range that was from factory ammo. I either ask the shooter if they want it or just pick it up with the empty ammo boxes after they leave. Interestingly enough, I don't use any of it. I give all this mismatched brass to buddies who don't care that its all mixed but know that its once fired.

Registered
I never found .45/70 brass, but did find a 50/70 while exploring in Arizona. Well, wasn't actually brass, they were made of copper then. It had laid there since the late 1860's, great shape, but I wouldn't say it was reloadable, age and that no central primer thing.
That is awesome! Imagine the history in that! Curious as to the book you are using as a reference.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.