Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was at my local gun shop today the same one I bought the old Mountie from and he had a very nice 1894 44 Mag for one heck of a price that I could not refuse even though I already have one in stainless. He runs a cash only business and it was getting late so he put it aside for me so I can pick it up next week. I'm so excited I could not wait to post about it!!:biggrin: It has some small dings in the stock and few scratches on the blue but overall an excellent rifle! Sorry no pictures yet but it has a uncheckered walnut stock and the gold trigger. The action was smooth as butter!! Also, I was at another gun store and they had an old Remington Nylon which was rusty for cheap with an uncracked stock for $125 and also had an old Brazilian Mauser chambered in the 30-06. I did not buy neither of those because I wanted to check what they were going for before I made the jump. So all in all it has been a great day!!

James:biggrin::biggrin:

*pics below*

·
Premium Member
15,448 Posts
congrats, need pictures when you pick it up

·
Registered
292 Posts
1977 was a fine year for Marlin. Congrats - great rifle in a great caliber. My local Walmart has .44 mag ammo in stock right now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Brazilian Mausers were originally in 7 x 57, which I'd rather have than a 30-06...rechambering would require a new barrel, so check the bore before you chamber a round!

·
Banned
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brazilian Mausers were originally in 7 x 57, which I'd rather have than a 30-06...rechambering would require a new barrel, so check the bore before you chamber a round!
They were chambered for the 30.06 because we have supplied them with arms that were already chambered in 30.06. From what I gather so far, it is a 1954 year so this has been rebarreled by an armory and not some gunsmith. I'm going to check headspace for sure.

JAmes

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Well if it has the Heavy German built 98 Action , That Brazilian .... it'll fetch the higher $'s for sure.... some of um Did . A lot of those re chambered 308's and 06's did have the heaver actions ....

Magnum6

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think they're all on 98 actions. They were 1908 Mausers originally. Easy enough to check the bore or do a chamber cast. As I said, I'd much rather have a 7 x 57 original. Excellent round. There isn't a whole lot of value to these, just make sure what you have.

·
Registered
292 Posts
They were chambered for the 30.06 because we have supplied them with arms that were already chambered in 30.06. From what I gather so far, it is a 1954 year so this has been rebarreled by an armory and not some gunsmith. I'm going to check headspace for sure.

JAmes
30-06 would be no surprise to me in a 1954 rifle, because it was built at the end or just after the Korean conflict, which was a multi-national effort, and the M1 Garand in 30-06 was the hands down favorite. There would have been gobs and gobs of ammo for your rifle at that time.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Does the '77 gun have the new ejector? I'm thinking that '76 was the last year, but if not you'll probably want to get a spare or two. Of course you know that already.

·
Banned
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I knew about the ejector but I could not remember the year. I forgot to look since I was shocked to see it there on the shelf. I also forgot to mention is that he had a nice 882 with a walnut stock. I already have a mint 25MN but it has the beech stock. Oh and it was a Nylon 66 which I forgot to mention above.

James

·
Registered
31 Posts
Reactions: Reicher

·
Registered
741 Posts
I also am fond of the 70's vintage Marlins with the plain slimmer wood and no cross bolt safety.

·
Banned
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I also am fond of the 70's vintage Marlins with the plain slimmer wood and no cross bolt safety.
What I like about it is that is has a plain stock. I do not mind checkering as long as it is cut. I would really like one chambered in 45 Colt but my odds finding one for a decent price is probably nill.

James

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Congrats Jim, sound like a nice rifle, but we need pictures Man, you know, photos.:flute:

·
Banned
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congrats Jim, sound like a nice rifle, but we need pictures Man, you know, photos.:flute:
They are coming!! I should have the rifle Monday and I will definitely post some pictures! You know that is a fact!

James

Reactions: Oz

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nice find
I love my 1894
It's a '79 and after I replaced the Carrier with the new style, it runs just about anything I can feed it
All 44 Mags and 44 Specials, Factory and Hand / Reloads

1894andSiperBlackhawk_zps18880922.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Check out the Brazilian. See if it was made in obendorf they have more polish on the inside than guns today have on the outside. The Berlin made ones are ok too but they don't usually fetch the price a obendorf one does.

·
Registered
60 Posts
When it comes to a Lever Gun in .308 Win, I went with the Browning, ('72) Belgian BLR
I really like how the Trigger rides with the Lever and allows the Shooter to keep his hand fully engaged while cycling the Action
And the Box Magazine allows for fast reload (when you have a few spare Mags) and the ability to fire full Ballistic Bullets

1222130022a_zpsc1ef3c3b.jpg

1222130023a_zpseb7c5201.jpg

1 - 20 of 29 Posts