Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the jackpot this past weekend.
A friend of mine had picked up some powder at a great price for his shotgun reloading.
Later he found out the powder was not suitable for shotguns…….
I purchased the powder from him…4 pounds of SR4759 for $40.00
Now, I've heard a bit about good luck with this powder but I cannot find
much data on it…… so, I need some recommendations for loading my 38-55
with 240 gr. and 260 gr. cast. I also need the same for the 45-70 using 405 gr. cast.
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Data for cast and SR 4759 is in the Lyman cast bullet handbook. Also, the Cast Boolits forum has a load database that may help as well. Hodgdon used to have SR 4759 data on their website but may have pulled it since this is a discontinued powder.

BB

Reactions: 2oraffs

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Some say its discontinued and some say not. All the dealers I've talked with are in the "not" group. It's a good powder. Sure hope the "not" group is correct.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Hit the jackpot this past weekend.
A friend of mine had picked up some powder at a great price for his shotgun reloading.
Later he found out the powder was not suitable for shotguns…….
I purchased the powder from him…4 pounds of SR4759 for $40.00
Now, I've heard a bit about good luck with this powder but I cannot find
much data on it…… so, I need some recommendations for loading my 38-55
with 240 gr. and 260 gr. cast. I also need the same for the 45-70 using 405 gr. cast.
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

You certainly did. The last 4 pounds I bought ran me $28 a pound!

·
Registered
910 Posts
very good powder i have used it in almost everything, a lot of the guys i shoot with in mbabr use it in the old war calibers with jacketed bullets, the one fly in the ointment is that it meters like dog food even my old belding and mull measures struggles with it, although it is the best

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
969 Posts
Some say its discontinued and some say not. All the dealers I've talked with are in the "not" group. It's a good powder. Sure hope the "not" group is correct.
Chris,

Twice I have contacted Hodgdon directly about SR 4759 and have been told that this powder will be discontinued. The first time I contacted Hodgdon, Dec 2013, i was told the last shipments would be in Jan 2014. I contacted them again about 2 months ago and was told 4759 would be discontinued by the END of 2014. I did check on the hodgdon website for load data for 45-70 trapdoor loads and they no longer list 4759.

BB

BB

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Chris,

Twice I have contacted Hodgdon directly about SR 4759 and have been told that this powder will be discontinued. The first time I contacted Hodgdon, Dec 2013, i was told the last shipments would be in Jan 2014. I contacted them again about 2 months ago and was told 4759 would be discontinued by the END of 2014. I did check on the hodgdon website for load data for 45-70 trapdoor loads and they no longer list 4759.

BB

BB

Heck, I'm disappointed. Hate it when I'm wrong, but hate it worse when I'm wrong about a good powder being discontinued. Thanks for setting me straight. Glad I've got 4 pounds.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everyone for your comments…
especially to "bikerbean" for the tip about Cast Bullets Forum. Lots of good leads there.
"Wetdog"…thanks for the book info….I'm on the hunt for a copy for myself.
Thanks folks!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.