Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there are so many different ways to scope our 45/70s I thought we might get a thread started where everybody would just post pics and details of their personal set up. Here is a templete we could use:

Picture Posted First

1. Type of gun. ie 1895G 1895GS 1895SS
2. Make and Model of scope. ie Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5x32
3. Make/part number of base. ie Weaver 63B
4. Make/height/part number of rings. ie Weaver QR lows

Finally we could list what we like/don't like about this particualr setup. Talk about eye relief, field of view, optical quality and maybe money spent versus performance recieved.

I think this would make a very good sticky for future refereance.

What do you say guys, how about it?

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
1. 1895G
2. Weaver Classic V 1-3x 20mm
3. None
4. Talley "Low" Rings (They screw down to the receiver, eliminating the need for bases.)

Talley's "Low" rings are not low enough for a 20mm scope. I do really like not needing bases; the less screws on a 45-70 the better. The scope is nice and inexpensive. I like the 1x option.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Ok, here we go :

1. Marlin 1895G
2. Weaver 2.5-8x28mm
3. XS scout rail
4. Rings Leupold QRW Medium.

I didn't get around to sight it in yet because of the bad weather.

Pete

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts

1. Type: 1996 Handi Rifle
2. Make and Model of scope: B-Square Shotgun 2.5x20 Long Eye relief
3. Make/part number of base: Weaver
4. Make/height/part number of rings: B-Square Extra Lows

Technical Information

Tube Diameter: 1"
Objective Diameter: 25 mm
Ocular Diameter: 38 mm

Adjustment Click Value: 1/4"
Eye Relief: 6" & beyond

Field of View at 100 Yards:
# 26.2' @ 2.5x

Length: 7.68"
Weight: 7.75 oz.

***UPDATE***
It shoots like a house on fire. Even hit the 200 yard gong. With Wheel Weights

·
Banned
569 Posts
Marlin Guide Gun 45/70

Older Weaver 1.5 by 4.5 X scope

Weaver Base and just some reasonable priced aluminum rings that I had laying around.

Perfect woods scope in my opinion with the 1.5 x setting yet the 4.5 is powerful enough for long shots this doe was shot at a ranged with two range finders at 193 yards.

·
Registered
8,703 Posts
1895 GBL Marlin of course from North Haven
Leupold VXII 1-4x20 Set on 1x is like open sights for up close and personal!
Warne Low rings #200LM
Leupold Rifleman base.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Marlin 1895G
Leapers 1.5-4X28mm ill. mil-dot scope
Weaver 2 pc. bases
Weaver low Standard rings.

Simple was my goal. The scope is great. The mounts are easy and solid. Why make it hard with lots of doodads? ;D The 1.5X is not all that great, but from 2.5 up to 4, this scope rocks! Although an import, it is well made and just plain easy to use. Been in place almost a year and I shoot this GG a bunch! The base, rings, and scope have never moved. It's still dead on at any range I shoot. Yup, simple is good ;D

Wade

·
Registered
367 Posts
Marlin 1895G in .45-70
Nikon ProStaff 2-7x32mm
XS Lever Rail
Warne "QD" Medium rings.

Haven't sighted it in, yet. Still researching loads.

(The 'catridges' are only in the photo because my son wanted a pic of the rifle with some "See-Gar" [his words] rounds.)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Marlin 1895GS 45/70
DNZ Game Reaper one piece scope mounts Model #12042. No lapping required. Bolts straight to reciever. Medium Height.
Burris Fullfield II 3x9x40 with LRS. Had this scope laying around so used it. I love this scope but if I had to do it again I would look for about 1" more eye relief for this caliber rifle. I was having scope bite if shooting from the prone position. I fixed that problem by swapping the rear stocks from my 1894ss 44mag. Same finish and wood but the 44 mags stock was about 1" longer and since I use skinner sights on the 44mag it wasn't an issue. I know, sounds weird. Also attached a picture of a 3 shot group at 100yds just for kicks. Also would like to add that after many bumpy atv rides, and allot of shooting, have not had to adjust my zero.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Marlin GS 45-70
Leupold base with super-low rings.
Leupold older model 2.5X compact scope. Has great eye relief and all the power needed for close range hunting in brush.
Rifle holds 2.25" groups @75yds with factory Remington 405gr loads. Or 1.75" with factory Hornady 325gr gummy tips. Again... that's good enough for close range brush hunting.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
This is the only scope I have ever put on my 1895CB but getting ready to shoot a buffalo with it in about three weeks. I was a last minute decision and I put on Weaver two piece bases and Weaver rings along with a Leupold VXII3x9x40, Wish me luck! ;D When I'm done I will remove and plan to put a XS sight system on it in conjunction with open sights.

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Matt, were young enough we don't need no stinking scopes yet. ;D

Well I have tried about every como on mine for some reason. I first bought this rifle for nothing but an open sighted gun, I put a peep on it. Then I got to thinking I could have the best of both worlds. I couldn't find a pic with the scope attached, but you can see in the first picture There is a WWG scout scope mount on the barrel mid way. I picked up a 4x leupold pistol scope and put on it with warren Q.D.'s thinking it would be nice to have it sighted in for a good distance but still hunt with open sights unless I needed it and had time to put it on. Well it did work, but it was another thing to pack and if the scope was attached it didn't carry well. I wasn't fond of the ballance with the scope on it either. I found my self just hunting with the peep any way.

I then broke my front sight when it hung up on a dang stick or somthing, it was one of them fiberobtic thingys from williams, this was close to hunting season, and I really didn't want or care for the scout thing any more. I threw on the 2x7 VX-II compact and got it sighted in quick like (had it laying around). Mounted on a weaver base with weaver low rings. This I actually liked very much, but it still threw off the ballance and ease of carry with a lever gun, so it is now off again, but if I did scope it this is what I think I would go back to.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rowdy said:
Matt

Another option maybe you forgot to list - the everpopular - see thru scope mounts :D
rowdy,

the first 45/70 I ever saw or shot was set up just that way Bubba see through rings with a 3x9x40 mounted up ready to go!

That was my Brother in Law's rifle and is still setup that way to this day. I could never have a 45/70 that way, but he has killed a lot of deer with it and ain't going to change anytime soon.

And Udy, I hear ya about the young eyes thing. Well mine need contacts, but with them I'm right at 20/20 and I do know a thing or two about them there open sights...

·
Registered
593 Posts
I know some of you think this set up is ugly but I am really kind of fond of it. At first I wasn't sure but after using it in the field, I love it.

1895 SBL
Burris Scout 2.75
Burris Quick detach low rings

·
Registered
1,357 Posts

Guide gun
Leupold FX-II Ultralight 2.5X20
Talley Lows for base/ring setup

Adds little weight, has excellent eye relief and field of view, and being a fixed-power scope, is very reliable.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice looking wood on that one, do you have a larger picture showing the whole stock and forearm?

·
Super Moderator
12,283 Posts
Here's mine:

1. 1895GS
2. Leupold VX-III 1.5-5x20mm with Alumina flip-caps
3. NC Star #MMLIN base
4. Leupold QRW low 1" rings

I also added the Williams Fire Sight which is what my SDT and SDG wear. I tried scout setups for a while but they never really worked for me. With this setup I can take the scope off and still use the irons.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
MattPair said:
Nice looking wood on that one, do you have a larger picture showing the whole stock and forearm?
Yea, sure do.

Here is the first deer I took with the rifle. I ran it a couple of seasons with a Williams FP, but I've had the nagging "wants" for a scope the whole time I've owned it. I finally gave in at the end of this year.:

And how I typically hunt, though if conditions warrant it, wanderlust will take over. The rifle is very handy in that mode of hunting, also.:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Vic,that's a very sano optic set-up you have there. I've got an XS rail on my 1895 ABL and am trying to decide on an optics set-up for it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts