Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,099 Posts
OW, it sounds like you're building a heavyweight bench gun, the way you're talking about it. Some basic questions are in order:

Are you ever going to hunt with this gun?
What barrel length and twist are you getting? What stock?
Is Home Defense ever to be considered with this weapon?

I have two AR-15's, one mostly for bench/varmint shooting from a rest, the other is my Urban rifle. One is heavy and precise, the otrher is a lightweight blaster for repelling boarders.

The scopes you're looking at are WAY more magnification than is usually used on AR's, unless you're planning on shooting at ranges beyond 200 yards or so. My bench gun wears a 6X scope, the other has a compact 4X, sometimes a 3X9, sometimes just iron sights.

I like side-focus scopes, they often accomodate change the parallax factor as they alter the focus. The mounting system is also something to consider, you need tall rings to get the scope high enough to allow for a good cheek-weld, and they have to be good and stout. Steel only, for my guns. I like Millet rings, not cheap but worth it.

There are a dozen more questions, but I'll let other folks chime in here. We have some very AR-savvy shooters here, far more experienced and unbiased than I am. ;)

·
Premium Member
18,099 Posts
One option you might want to look into if you just want a general-purpose scope is the Leapers or UTG 6X scope, the best thing about it is the mounting system. The mount is a one-piece design that's welded to the scope tube, making it both very rigid and a snap to mount. The mount itself clamps onto the Picatinny rail with two knurled screws, and you can remove it and re-install it with no loss of zero. The scopes are affordable ($70 or less) and clear, hold their adjustments well, and sit at just the right height for an AR-15. I've had several of them, and they have never given me a moment's trouble.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts