1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just joined the A R group. ;D
I have a flat top coming in.
Now the scope.
I do more paper punching that any other thing .
I have been looking at scopes
The side focus ones ,high power.
fond a few
looking for input from some of you guys
Has anyone tried any of these scopes?? ::)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320647242769&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170323798522&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
http://cgi.ebay.com/Seals-8-32x50-T...472?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0de392b8

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
OW, it sounds like you're building a heavyweight bench gun, the way you're talking about it. Some basic questions are in order:

Are you ever going to hunt with this gun?
What barrel length and twist are you getting? What stock?
Is Home Defense ever to be considered with this weapon?

I have two AR-15's, one mostly for bench/varmint shooting from a rest, the other is my Urban rifle. One is heavy and precise, the otrher is a lightweight blaster for repelling boarders.

The scopes you're looking at are WAY more magnification than is usually used on AR's, unless you're planning on shooting at ranges beyond 200 yards or so. My bench gun wears a 6X scope, the other has a compact 4X, sometimes a 3X9, sometimes just iron sights.

I like side-focus scopes, they often accomodate change the parallax factor as they alter the focus. The mounting system is also something to consider, you need tall rings to get the scope high enough to allow for a good cheek-weld, and they have to be good and stout. Steel only, for my guns. I like Millet rings, not cheap but worth it.

There are a dozen more questions, but I'll let other folks chime in here. We have some very AR-savvy shooters here, far more experienced and unbiased than I am. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
I have a M&P and I put one of the Barska countour 3-9x42 IR Compact Tactical scopes on it and have been happy with it so far. It is pretty clear and with the lighted reticles it is easy to see in lower light conditions. This is not a top end high dollar scope, but has met my needs. I use the gun for me and my girls to plink at the range out to 100yds. and some hunting, but mostly plinking at the range, as I am not convinced 223 is a hunting caliber beyong varmints. At any rate the scope is listed for $62.99 at Natchez and comes with base rings, but still required a riser for my gun. The catalog number is C10BKAC10552. I also bought a second one and put it on a little Rossi 243 I got for the girls and it has worked fine on that gun also.

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a target and long range coyote.
The rifle is a IS DPMS PANTHER ARMS BULL TWENTY FOUR STAINLESS 223 AR15 STYLE RIFLE,HAS 24 INCH HEAVY BARREL.
* 416 Stainless steel bull barrel * 6 grooves, right-hand 1x9 twist, button rifled
I will be taking this to my buddy's farm for coyote about 300 yards at the most.. ;D
I don't think that it will reach out to the end of the wind row at the back of the field 1 1/2 miles..
I will be at the range with it also 100 and 300 yards
Only at home will be up close 275 feet .

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
Nice gun. On that gun for your use I would probably get more scope than I have put on mine. Although honestly I have never tried to use it at those ranges it may would be fine, but I would probably spend more for a long range gun such as you have. Natchez has been much cheaper than most other places I have tried. You may also check in the Industry Partners section as we have a new partner there who sells optics.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have a burris fulfield 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle and it matches the 55 grain perfect to 400 yards,however this reticle and most others like it have to be set at high power to work.If your shooting coyotes at long range it wont be a problem,but when I call they seem to come from anywhere and I prefer the low end for better field of view. the burris is very clear and and on sale for $179 at cabelas.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Welcome to the AR club, old welder ;D

Not sure about any of those scopes...on ARs and scopes I'm pretty dogmatic, and so far my dogma hasn't taken me in the varminter direction. You might check out the Pride-Fowler line of scopes, though, I've heard good things about them.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I have no experience with any of those, however I put a 4-12X on my Varmit AR and I'm pleased with that magnification range. I wouldn't fault you for going more than a 3-9X on that rifle.

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We are on the way!
I picked up the AR last night. ;D ;D
Brought it home..Karen had to check it out,and now she wants to try it out
Just got done ordering a scope and rings from Natchez
Picked a Simmons 44 MAG 6-24X44 SIDE FOCUS.
Now the wait for the scope,
And some warm weather ,please something above 0..
The way Karen was looking at the AR I think she might want one...Now I started something...

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
If I were doing it over, I'd just use a Burris 2-7x Ballistic dot, and be done. 2x for close and fast, 7x with dots for longer shots. I think this one runs well under $200 new from Midway.

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mommicked said:
If I were doing it over, I'd just use a Burris 2-7x Ballistic dot, and be done. 2x for close and fast, 7x with dots for longer shots. I think this one runs well under $200 new from Midway.
The Simmons I picked up was $130.00 plus shipping.
BUT ,, I needed some scope rings.. add another 30..
Scope should be here when I get home after work..
Now that all this nasty white stuff is melting,,
I might get a clear shot at the range in the back yard
Calling for a bunch of rain.. :mad:
So Saturday looks like the best day this week ::)
If its to bad I might just open the sliding door in the kitchen and see how it shoots off the counter top.. ;D ;DLOL
I best make sure that I pick up all the brass.. :eek:
Kind of hard to enplane to the wife what all the empty casing on the floor came from... 8)

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
One option you might want to look into if you just want a general-purpose scope is the Leapers or UTG 6X scope, the best thing about it is the mounting system. The mount is a one-piece design that's welded to the scope tube, making it both very rigid and a snap to mount. The mount itself clamps onto the Picatinny rail with two knurled screws, and you can remove it and re-install it with no loss of zero. The scopes are affordable ($70 or less) and clear, hold their adjustments well, and sit at just the right height for an AR-15. I've had several of them, and they have never given me a moment's trouble.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts