Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Scoping my Model 444 Marlin

3K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  Hunter30-30 
#1 ·
After installing a Williams peep and visiting the range once with my .444, I had to have a scope to wring out more accuracy. I ordered a Vortex Crossfire II 1×4 - 24 with 4" of eye relief. Got Leupold standard base and rings on the way too. I would have felt comfortable nailing game at 50- 75 yards with the peep but past that not so confident. I have a Vortex on my Anschutz .22 LR Exemplar that I am very impressed with and have no problem with head shots on squirrels. Anyone use a Vortex on their Marlin?

#6 ·
My 2008 NIB 444 Marlin came with a 1970s era 2-7X32mm Redfield Tracker scope. The NYC gunshop owner just wanted to sell this fine JM Marlin that had been sitting around in his shop--so he threw in the scope for free. The old Redfields are outstanding--I still have two of them from the 70s that are still going strong to this day.

Gun Rifle Wood Air gun Hardwood

#7 ·
My 2008 NIB 444 Marlin came with a 1970s era 2-7X32mm Redfield Tracker scope. The NYC gunshop owner just wanted to sell this fine JM Marlin that had been sitting around in his shop--so he threw in the scope for free. The old Redfields are outstanding--I still have two of them from the 70s that are still going strong to this day.

View attachment 101112
I've got a '70's era 3x9 Redfield Widefield on my Remington 7 mag. Still works great!

#8 ·
My 1970 T4 has a Bushnell that came on it when I bought it, it seems to have held together okay but it's getting replaced with a 4x28 Leopold. As far as the OP question about the Crossfire, I put a Vortex 2x7 on my 35 Remington and I love it (so far) it's as bright and clear as any of my Leopolds. I have another Crossfire on my 25MN that's performing great. While neither of them are riding the recoil of the mighty T4, I believe they would do fine, and like Bro said, they do have a lifetime warranty.

Heck, over the years I've dropped two Bushnells from trees that are still with me. :ahhhhh: (one I was lowering to the ground and my knot came loose and the other was when a Tree Lounger decided to drop a couple of feet and my muzzleloader sailed to the ground)

#10 ·
I have a VX3 1.5-5x on my 444. Hope the Vortex works out for you. I put a 4-12X Crossfire on a 500Mag rifle just for the extra magnification; I was going to try it at long range just to see how it would do. (it had been on a .22) It lasted about 6 rounds, factory sent me a new one and I gave it away. I have read nothing but good about the higher end Vortex scopes; however I'm shying away from the Crossfires, hopefully you will have better luck than I did.

#12 ·
I use Vortex Diamondback scopes on two of my three 444 Marlins. I think the Diamondback's are great at their pricepoint, they're proven tough and the customer service is among the best in the industry.
I do not have any experience with the Crossfire line. The first gen Crossfires had problems and they came out with a gen II Crossfire that was supposed to have addressed the issues with the gen I crossfire scopes. If you have any issues, I am willing to bet you'll appreciate their customer service.
I know my 444 Marlins ruined an older Weaver V8 and tweaked a Burris.

#14 ·
My '71 444 wears a period correct Weaver Micro 1.75 - 4.5 x 20; popped a 120 lb doe in the neck at 75 yards; dropped her in her tracks... I picked up a 70's model Burris Fullfield 1.5-4x20 and I am thinking about swapping the weaver out but I really like the weaver too... Maybe I just need another 444 :)

#22 ·
Don't have a Vortex on my Marlins but do use a Viper PST on my bench rest rifle.

#28 ·
Most of my Marlins wear 3-9 x 40 of many persuasions. But the odd one sits on my 45/70 which is a Vortex re dot and a great quick aquisition scope. Mind you that is only for big things that I can see the whites of their eyes stuff. Burris, Leupold, Nikon are all good scopes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.