Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colleagues: am seriously thinking about ‘scoping my 336 .35 Remington and possibly my 1895 CB, 45.-70

Getting more and more difficult to see the targets at 100 and 200 yards.

I am partial to Leupold ‘scopes. Considering the Leupold VX-2 Rifle Scope 3-9x 40mm for both. See:
Leupold VX-2 Rifle Scope 3-9x 40mm

A
nyone see any problems with mounting this ‘scope on the 336 and the 1895?

Appreciate any insight. Thanks in advance….

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
No problems at all, although I personally prefer a smaller scope on mine. Not necessarily lower magnification, just a smaller scope. 32-33m objective, some 2-7x are shorter, etc. they look better, don't overpower the gun, and have plenty of magnification.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Due to my eyesight not being what it used to be, most of my Marlins are now scoped. I tend to like the lower magnifications for hunting in the 1x4 range. For me, they're faster, with a wider field of view, and work well for those calibers range limitations.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Leupold is a quality scope for a reasonable price. You may want to consider a more compact model than the 3x9x40. Say... the 2x7x33. Works fine at 100-200 yds. Lighter, more compact, great eye relief. Plus... It can be mounted lower to the bore than the 40mm.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
It'll work fine they just look huge on the rifles. Lots of guys do it though. I personally prefer the much slimmer fixed or low power scope. They're all functional though. I'd probably be tempted to stretch the range with all that glass too. :)

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
I scope everything.......... But not A Cowboy..... Try A peep sight first.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"Try A peep sight first."
--GaterSkinner

I have receiver sights on several rifles and vernier tangs on my Shiloh Sharps as well as aperture front and Beech combination sights. They help, but I still have difficulty seeing the target clear enough to line up with the front sight. Eye fatigue sets in quickly and emerging cataracts do not help the situation either.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Leupold 2 x 7 on all my Marlins. The 2 x 7 seem to be the best compromise between weight, and magnification for rifles like the 336 and 1895. Just mounted a new 2 x 7 my 39a Mountie and it really makes a nice small game rifle.
The only exception in my Marlin family is my 1894ss in .44 mag. I mounted a Burris FastFire II on it and it makes a great, handy package for hunting really thick, close range spots.
My wife really likes the little .44 and it makes it easy for her to make accurate shots out to 100 yards.
Marin 1895 STBL.jpg

·
Registered
92 Posts
My 30+ year old 336 Texan shall remain scopeless. It's a woods walking rifle along with my Browning BL-22. I have a Nikon Monarch 2-8x on my BLR .358 WIN. I used to use Leupolds exclusively but prefer the focus on the Nikon. I do plan to put a Leupold FX2 3x on a 1895 when I find the right one.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just read from the Leupold website concerning your scope choice. "BAS (Balistic Aiming System) The LR Duplex and LRV Duplex recticles are designed to be used only at the maximum magnification settings." I believe you will be ok with your scope choice if you do not order it with the LR or LRV Duplex recticles.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the same eye problems as the OP, I just cannot shoot with open or peep sights any more. I went with the Leupold 3-9x40 on my 1895 and am really happy with my choice.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
tlf65, do you have any problems with recoil while shooting from a bench with that scope? what is the eye relief?
even with a short 1.75x4.5x33 I get kissed once in a while. could be the straight stock I guess.:vollkommenauf:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts