Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the holiday weekend, I mounted the BSA Catseye 1.5x4.5 on my 44mag using a one-piece Weaver base and Weaver 4x4 rings. With handloads consisting of 270gr Speer Gold Dots and 20gr H110, 3 shot groups @ 100yds averaged 1.078". I am very happy with this rig. The BSA scope is excellent quality for the $ spent, and the handling of the rifle was not adversly affected. This rifle will be great when I am hunting out of my Ol' Man climber in the hardwood swamp and the pine plantations, where ranges will be short. I won't have to worry about recoil knocking me out of the tree, like I do with my 444 with heavy loads! :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sounds good.
I'm about to scope my 1894CP (16" .357), my eyes aren't what they used to be. I putting on the smallest scope I can find, a Leupold 2X. It's got a small rear end with lots of eye relief so hopefully I won't need the dreaded hammer spur.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The BSA I used has a small eyebell, but I had to put the dreaded hammerspur back on.

·
Registered
311 Posts
WHITE OWL,
I have a Leupold 1x4 on my 1894S with Burris super-lo rings. The scope is low overbore which allows quick sight alignment. The hammer extension is required, but doesn't pose any problems for me. I like that SPEER 270gr. as well. Good luck with your new deer hammer.
MUZZLEDUSTER :D

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Dreaded Hammer Spur??: I've always liked mine. Just a little more to be able to grab onto when it's wet, you're hands are cold, etc, and you need to drop back into half-cock. I've always gone out of my way to make sure it was on the hammer. JMTC....TTT

1 - 7 of 7 Posts