Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Super Moderator
12,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently stopped at a pawn shop to pay some money on a 9mm pistol I had in layaway. Noticed this scoped 81 and asked to see it, hoping it was a .35 Remington since I already load for it. Nope, found it was in 300 Savage which I have never shot or loaded for before, along with several modifications including an added scope/mount, recoil pad and sling swivels. I usually avoid modified guns or adding new calibers but the price was right so I put a hundred bucks down and left.

I thought about the rifle over the next week and figured I don't need another 9mm so went back and asked to put the money I had paid on the pistol into the rifle instead. Owner said yes and after paying a small balance got it home and cleaned up for a few more photos. The BRR date code indicates January 1946 manufacture and at some point was drilled & tapped for a M.L. Stith scope mount and a 3/4" Lyman All-Weather 2.5X scope. Ugly yes, but it is a period-correct modification with clear glass and fine crosshairs. At some point, Bubba cut the buttstock down and added a recoil pad for a 13" LOP. The stocks were also refinished after grossly oversanding the wood in critical areas. I believe the sling swivels are also non-original and required drilling & tapping the barrel shroud. Not every gun I own is a beauty queen but as long as she shoots I will be happy.

I will likely restock the gun down the road but for now, my plans are to load some test rounds and take it to the range when my parents come down for the holidays. Dad has never been a guy guy but Mom says he often talks about the times we have been to the range and what a good shooter he is lol. I texted him photos of the gun yesterday and he replied "It's a real relic born the same year I was!" Bought some dies and brass from another MO member but am searching for more 300 Savage brass. Already have bullets, primers & powders so am looking forward to seeing what this old girl can do and spending time with Pops...

· Registered
649 Posts
Recently stopped at a pawn shop to pay some money on a 9mm pistol I had in layaway. Noticed this scoped 81 and asked to see it, hoping it was a .35 Remington since I already load for it. Nope, found it was in 300 Savage which I have never shot or loaded for before, along with several modifications including an added scope/mount, recoil pad and sling swivels. I usually avoid modified guns or adding new calibers but the price was right so I put a hundred bucks down and left.

I thought about the rifle over the next week and figured I don't need another 9mm so went back and asked to put the money I had paid on the pistol into the rifle instead. Owner said yes and after paying a small balance got it home and cleaned up for a few more photos. The BRR date code indicates January 1946 manufacture and at some point was drilled & tapped for a M.L. Stith scope mount and a 3/4" Lyman All-Weather 2.5X scope. Ugly yes, but it is a period-correct modification with clear glass and fine crosshairs. At some point, Bubba cut the buttstock down and added a recoil pad for a 13" LOP. The stocks were also refinished after grossly oversanding the wood in critical areas. I believe the sling swivels are also non-original and required drilling & tapping the barrel shroud. Not every gun I own is a beauty queen but as long as she shoots I will be happy.

I will likely restock the gun down the road but for now, my plans are to load some test rounds and take it to the range when my parents come down for the holidays. Dad has never been a guy guy but Mom says he often talks about the times we have been to the range and what a good shooter he is lol. I texted him photos of the gun yesterday and he replied "It's a real relic born the same year I was!" Bought some dies and brass from another MO member but am searching for more 300 Savage brass. Already have bullets, primers & powders so am looking forward to seeing what this old girl can do and spending time with Pops...

Beautiful rifle, a real classic. I reload .300 Savage and it should be easy to get brass at any of the big suppliers. It is a great deer cartridge. Great find. Let us know how it shoots.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts