Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have one rifle (444SS) with a Ghost Ring setup and another (.35 Rem) with a Williams Firesight receiver sight, I find that my 100 yd. groups are great and only a slight bit larger than my scoped 444S and 336W.

I really like the ghost ring/peep set ups. My question is for those of you that have hunted with BOTH scope and ghost ring/peep setups.

How much advantage is there to using a scope at under 50 yd. at dawn and dusk?

Thanks,

Dave 8)

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've hunted with mostly scoped rifles until recently when I started using a peep-sighted 1895. IMO the peep/ghost is better than a scope at 50yds in any conditions. At 150yds, the scope is better. At 100yds, it's a toss-up for me and probably depends a lot on the vision (or lack thereof) of the shooter.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
There is a big disadvantage to a scope in fog. I carry two rifles most hunting trips, this year it was the 450 gg with the peep and my MR7 in 25-06 with scope for the long shots. Was set up with long shot area about 316 yds max. Some fog rolled in and I saw a deer at about 250 yds crossing a road. (Since I had a doe tag and could take either sex didn't need to see horns) but when I brought up the scope the light reflected by the fog prevented me from shooting. Had I had the peep at least I would have had an option, but probably wouldn't have taken that long a shot with my GG.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Ring/Peep...for a couple different reasons.

I like to weld my cheek to the stock pretty good......seems like, especially with levers w/o the monte carlo stock, I have to raise my cheek up too much to feel comfortable.

Peep/Ring seems faster to me.

Here in the Pacific NorthWET, it seems like it's either rainy/foggy and I'm always trying to wipe off the scope.

At 100yd or so, I can't tell the diff in accuracy...

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
I dunno which is better but I'v been leaning more & more to scopes as the years go by. At the range I can shoot very well with the peeps & to be honest I'v never missed a shot at game with them either. I'v found tho that its easier to see branches & such that are in the way with a scope & its much easer to find a hole thru brush with one. I dont use much magnfication, on my variables they always stay on their lowest setting while hunting & last year I put a 1.5 power shotgun scope on my guide gun & its just fine. Where I hunt its pretty thick & the ability to thread a bullet thru brush comes in handy. Like I sad I never missed an animal with an aperature but I have hit a few sticks that I didnt know were there till after the shot & at least once it threw the shot off enuff that I had to shoot again, this time at a moving animal. Threw it off enuff that I took out the hindquaters with the first shot, this at about 60 yards, the second went thru the shoulders like the first was supposed to. Ruined both ends of that deer & took some ribbing at camp but, hey, I got my deer. :p

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
In my case, I much prefer a scope to peep sights when hunting in dim light. I've been out in the creek bottoms and not been able to see the front sight when down in the shadows. Painting the front sight with paint or whiteout would have helped, I'm sure, but I wasn't smart enough to think of that in my youth. I guess I've become used to (dependent on?) scopes now. I do have rifles with peep sights and like them, but a scoped rifle goes hunting with me now.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I haven't shot at game with a peep for several years but I own and shoot rifles rigged both ways. Here's what happened two days ago.

I was stillhunting whitetails in large oak woods in mid-Missouri. My rifle was Rem. Classic 700 in 35 Whelen with an old Weaver K2.5x scope. I jumped deer three times without getting a good shot set up. The fourth time I put up flags they disappeared over a little ridge and down into the next little hollow.

I ran forward to crest the ridge and watch the face of the next finger ridge which was probably less than 100 yds. I caught sight of the flags coming out of the bottom of the draw but when the two deer stopped moving they virtually disappeared. It was real flat light because of light overcast and those deer just blended into the forest floor and brush. I knew they were right there but could not pick them out with my naked eye.

After a moment or two of using some small 6X binoculars I was able to pick out the larger of the two, clear as a bell. Without the binocs...no way I could see them until they moved again. Then it would be too late for a reasonable shot.

With the 2.5X scope I made a perfect offhand shot that anchored the deer on the spot. (I know, the Whelen is more than is really needed for whitetails.) I seriously doubt I would have even attempted the same shot with a peep sight under those conditions. Visually speaking, 80 yards can be a very long way to shoot in the timber.

Each type of sight has its strengths and weaknesses. The shooter just has to live within the limits of what he or she has in hand at the time. When I am serious about taking game, I carry scoped rifles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I was in a rainy fog this Elk season(no Elk to show for it)I found my Weaver K3 useless. But in the area's I hunt there is usually a minimum point restriction, so a scope really helps to confirm the count on a bull.

P.S. Sureshot. How did the season go?

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Still hunter, start of the season everything I saw was so small, 4 last years and a couple of this years, I wouldn't take them. The one I saw in the fog was the only one of decent size. Figured I will try the late hunt up off Snow Creek area and up over BonJon pass

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Here in Nebraska our legal shooting time is 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset. For it means about 45 more minutes of shooting time with the scope. I have had my 38/55 with a williams fire sight and WGRS & my BAR with a VX-1. When I cant see good enough to shoot the 38/55 it gets put away and out comes the 30-06. tonight I saw about 10 deer after the 38/55 got put away. The bully was not one of them, but he could have been.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
btt for more input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts