Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's been a minute since I've posted in the 336 forum:biggrin:

I have a bit of indecision here; hunting season will be here before I know it and after last season I've made up my mind(what's left of it) to start using the one of the 336's again. I have a 1978 336 30-30 and a 1987 336 .35Rem. Either gun is more than capable of taking out anything in Ga real bleeping quick. The difference in caliber size does not matter to me.....

The 30-30 is unmolested as it's never been drilled for a sling and it's currently sitting just like it came from the factory. The gun is well used, but not abused. The trigger on this one is just sweet and it's a fun gun to just shoot. I definitely do not want to drill the stock for a sling swivel. I was thinking of finding a leather cuff to go over the buttstock that has a sling mount so I wouldn't have to drill the stock and install a clamp style sling mount on the mag tube so I can use a sling. Then go ahead and mount something conventional in the 1.5 to 4-5x20 range scope for use in the woods.

The .35Rem already has a sling on it plus it has Williams peep sights on it. For this one I was possibly thinking about going with a scout scope set up and leave the peep sights as is in case I ever get to stomp through the south Ga swamps and go hog hunting. The main issue with the .35 is the trigger is just terrible. It's like trying to pull a brick backwards with your finger.... quite possibly the worst trigger I have ever felt. Plus I've never been completely comfortable with the peep sights either. Of course i haven't practiced a whole lot with the peeps on the 35 because ammo is a hard to find and the trigger isn't comfortable to me.

So should I fix the trigger on the .35, scope it and get acclimated to it or scope the 30-30 which I'm already a lot more comfortable using? Oh yeah, ammo for the 30-30 is a lot cheaper and easier to find than the .35rem.....

·
Super Moderator
26,091 Posts
If you are going hog hunting--fix up and scope the 35 Rem. If you want to settle for second best--scope the 30-30=0. :tee:

Reactions: LT and Brocky

·
Registered
990 Posts
LT,
That is a terrible problem to have, which Marlin to shoot? Dang, I hate these impossible decisions. I am partial to the 30-30 myself and it sounds like of the 2 you have, the trigger is pretty sweet on the 30-30. So, that makes it easy if it was my choice to make. To me the sling is not a problem, I only use one if I have a lot of hiking planned for the hunt. On most day hunts, no slings. However, I like the idea of a butt cuff with sling connection, so you don't have to drill the stock out. Good luck and I too am already looking forward to hunting season!

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Getting the 35 trigger sorted out, with an after market trigger kit, or a good gunsmith is easy enough to do. As you mentioned, having the same basic model of gun, on set up with irons and one set up with a scope, gives a lot of flexibility. There are days when carrying a light unscoped rifle just feels right.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Either one would serve you well!!!!

Reactions: LT

·
Banned
1,758 Posts
Man, you already answered your own question, LT!

Conventional low-power scope and special sling for the 30-30...

New trigger for the 35, along with a rail, scout scope, maybe xs peeps (not sure, does the Williams fit with the scout set-up?).

Then a RCBS Rockchucker, some primers, powder and brass, and then...

Brocky

Reactions: LT and erimort

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
My vote is for the 35. Wild west trigger makes a world of a difference IMO.
The scout scope is not for everyone but I'm a big fan of it for short to medium range (100-150 yards) and honestly I wouldn't hesitate to take a 200 yard shot. But my eyes are still young.
Gun Machine Grass Shooting Recreation
Circle

That's a 100 yard group with the scout scope.
My 35 is probably one of my favorite rifles and it's perfect for my style of hunting in my area.
Good luck with your choice LT you really can't go wrong with either one but I think the 35 will just be a little better. Just my biased opinion.

·
Super Moderator
7,969 Posts
Fix the trigger yourself on the 35, scope both!

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Scope the one you think you'd rather hunt with. Both would work great, we all know that. What I've found is that I gravitate to my scoped guns for hunting. So whatever you scope will probably be what you grab. Post pics

·
Premium Member
10,806 Posts
LT, I have both of my 35's scoped. it does not take much. one wears an old fixed power weaver in I think 2x and the other a fixed 4. Both are deadly to 200yards. I do favor the .35 for hunting, not that a 30-30 wont work, but since you have the big brother why not use it? I have seen more 35 ammo this year than 30-30. I do have one scout scoped rifle, my sporterized Mosin Nagant and it shoots really well and is really quick to the target. it wears a cheap NC Star 2 to 7 and has really clear glass.
Gun Rifle Firearm Air gun Benchrest shooting

Reactions: buckweet and LT

·
Registered
25 Posts
One of the biggest keys to good shooting is your trigger... scope or no scope take the 30WCF, with either round our southeastern deer will be equally dead. The guys I hog hunt with kill them with 22lr pistols all season long... (bayed with hounds) I use my .40 because I consider it terminal ballistics research which gives me more confidence in my duty weapon and round.... Low and tight to the shoulder your WCF will make bacon...

Reactions: IMR and LT

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
A properly installed sling stud in the butt stock is not seen by most of us as a value busting accessory. Conversely, it may help. On the front, end caps or barrel bands are readily available. They were factory installed on some models. My first year ADL is an example.

Fix the one you like as you need it equipped and have fun,

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Fix the trigger on the 35. Put on a Williams Ace in the Hole mount so you can keep a peep and scope with a conventional 4x fixed with illuminated reticle. I would leave the 30-30 stock and feel better with the 35 on hogs (we have some Russian boar crossbreeds in our area that get north of 500 pounds and are MEAN).

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
As much as I love peeps, have to say that our Marlins now wear mostly scopes/red dots. Our woods with all our conifers are always dark. Even sunny days for just range shooting around here are hard to come by. A scope is much easier for me to use under dark or gloomy conditions than iron sights. Even a red dot works better for me than iron and nothing beast a good red dot for quick target acquisition. Lots of advantages for a good red dot. Might want to consider that option, too. Darn Marlins are so accurate that I almost hate not to scope them, anyway.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
If my information is correct, Georgia deer are not overly large such that the 35 likely would not offer much of an advantage. A surprisingly good scope for the money is the Bushnell 1.5X4.5 at around $70. I have one on my 35 as it had good reviews on the Midway USA site where I ordered it. It has worked for two years and two deer and is very clear. Standard 336 Williams mound and inexpensive rings. Stayed sighted in for two years. Big thing on a scope is to play with the eye relief until it comes to perfect focus when you mount the rifle. If the stock is too short get spacers, if too long cut it back.

DEP

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.