Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a good, readily-available, reasonably priced scope setup for the Marlin 1894C? Please specify mounting components as well as scope. I am picking up my new 1984C on Friday, and would like to start shopping for a scope and mount.

Thanks!!

Steve

·
Registered
355 Posts
Please don't put a scope on it :cry: !

Just kidding :lol: .

You can get it set up with a Weaver base, and then pretty much any combo of optic/rings you care for. I'd figure a good Weaver 4x32 should serve you well on that gun.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Definately a small scope for that rifle. 1X4, 4x fixed, or a compact 2X7 at most. The Weaver mounts are cheap and work well. If you want something a little fancier and made of steel, the Warne bases and mounts are nice.

I have a 2X7 compact in Weaver bases on my 24" Cowboy right now for load testing.

Scope is a 2X7 Nikon Prostaff, about $129. The optics are really clear.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Put me down as another vote for the Weaver base; it is cost-effective, readily available, and has a fairly low profile. I have preferred and used Burris "Zee" rings in conjunction with Weaver mounts for many years now, but there are are plenty of less expensive rings that will do the job just as well.

As far as the scope itself, I currently have an older Leupold M8 4 power on my 1894C. It performs just fine, but I consider it a tad too big for the carbine, and I find that I really don't need that much magnification. Because I like 20mm objectives, the latter pretty much dictates that I keep the power to 3X or under, which is okay for me (although a lot of people I respect think I'm chronically under-scoped). To my way of thinking, the Nikon 1.5-4.5x20 is a dandy scope for the shorter Marlins, and that - or something very similar - will probably be the "permanent" optic on my 1894C.

While not a scope, per se, I have done some playing around with an UltraDot on the gun, and that is actually a useful combination in its own way too. Very compact and fast.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 1894 44Mag and I use a 4x Weaver clasic with Burris Zee rings and a weaver mount.
This setup works fine for me.
Good Luck
Kevin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nikon scope?

I picked up a Nikon 3-9x40 Buckmaster for only $120.00 on close-out; is this too big for this rifle? I think it will fit; I am wondering, however, if this is like putting 22" alloy rims on a 63 VW bug....

Steve

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'd certainly give that scope a try. While I don't see too many 40mm front ends on leverguns around here, 3-9X is probably the most popular power range on about everything (or is close to it). I like smaller optics on most carbines, but that sure doesn't mean that the M-8 4X currently on my 1894C doesn't work just fine (because it does)... and it isn't a whole lot smaller than that Nikon. So...

If you get the scope on there and find that it is not unduly bulky or has to sit too high (in order for the front end to clear the gun) to be comfortable for you to look through, then it isn't too big. Aesthetics are a whole different thing, and what looks funny to one guy is someone else's idea of perfection-- beauty is as beauty does.

Personally, I'd be prone to leaving the power setting down around 3X while hunting; that would give a good field of view and plenty of gathered light from that big objective lens. For other shooting, you could crank 'er up. Hopefully, you will find your combination to be versatile and easy to use.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I installed a look through mount on mine so I could still use the iron sights when I wanted.

Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nikon 3-9x40

Well, broke down and mounted the scope. It is big, but it clears everything - including the standard site, which I did not bother to remove. These are Leopold mid-height rings on a Leopold rail. I'm farily impressed by this inexpensive Nikon's light-gathering ability.

Does look a little big, though...

Steve

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've been trying different scope mounting ideas lately on an 1894 myself.

I have an 1895M with the XS scout mount. That mount allows the scope I have on it (1-4X20 Leupold) to sit with the rear eye lens flush with the rear of the receiver. This also allows for the use of Weaver low rings so the effect is like looking down the original sight line. Almost a "scout" scope type of mounting but not. One guy on the old Marlin forum had the same set up but configured as the scout scope with the iron sights.

I also have an 1894C with a 3-9X33 on medium Weaver rings with a Weaver base. This set up looks like the pics here from you guys.

I now own an 1894CL in .32-20. I have an old Lyman 2.5X Alaskan with Delrin ring reducers (the Alaskan is 7/8" diameter, not 1" as is common now) to mount with Weaver rings. My dilema is I want the rifle to remain sort of "old school looking", but I dont like the end of the scope hanging back over the receiver/hammer. I like the set up on my 1895, and XS makes a scout scope mount for the 1894 but looks to "modern".

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
463 Posts
I put a shotgun 2.5X on my 357 mag, it seems just about right for hunting since the shots are quick and close!
Can't see the front sight anymore, so I have to have that coke-bottle on top, but the shotgun scopes look better, they don't have a bell in the front! :eek:

G

·
I put a see-through weaver base on mine and I alternate between the stock open sights and an Eotech red-dot depending on how much light there is.

Ugly as the devil, but it works good.

:)

·
Registered
360 Posts
What works for me on my 1894S, is a Weaver base, and an old Weaver 20mm V4.5 scope. :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts