Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to have to mount a scope on my 1894c. I don't really like it, but its either that or guess at what and where I am shooting at. Irons, even peeps are blurri g out on me.

So, I want small and light obviously, no 16x monstrosities.
While I am not fixed on leupold, they seem to offer the smallest scopes other than the weaver 1-3x20 which I have and don't want for this application. I want the power to bottom out at 2. So I was looking at the
Leuoold fx2 ultralight 2.5x http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1362147019/leupold-fx-ii-ultralight-rifle-scope-25x-20mm-matte
Or the leupold Vx1 2-7x28rimfire Leupold VX-1 Rimfire Rifle Scope 2-7x 28mm

And didn't know if y'all had an opinion or preference or other suggestion.

I've tried the scout scope on another gun with a cheap scope. It works pretty well, but I shoot left and I'm right eye dominant t so the both eyes open thing doesn't work real well for me and 1 eye gives a pretty small field of view.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Another source, I've had good luck buying older excellent condition Weaver K3 (post and crosshair) and Redfield Wideview 2.5X (duplex) off Gun Broker for around $75. These I put on vintage rifles I hunt with. The three, secured in this manner have had clear optics, good seals and adjustments. Getting ripped off is always a possibility on a used scope, but has not happened yet.

Reactions: djj2012

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have a fx2 2.5 to mount on my 94, 44mag, what base and rings did you use, thank you.
typically I use a warne mount and burris low rings to get the scope as low as possible. if there are any lower weaver style rings that don't have a big nut or thumbscrew on the side I don't know of them and would be eager to find out. if that fx2 really has that much eye relief I don't know if a warne mount will work in terms of rings slot spacing. I also have a ncstar picatinny rail that worked fine except it is a 1/4" higher than the warne's. it cost me $7 shipped.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gun Trigger Air gun Shooting sport Airsoft gun
Gun Rifle Trigger Shooting sport Shooting
You're on the right track with the Leupold FX-II Ultralight 2.5x20. Best levergun scope ever made in my opinion. The 2.5x will be plenty of power for the short range 357. They make the scope with two different reticles, the wide duplex and the heavy duplex. The heavy works great in the woods as a hunting scope, where the wide duplex is a bit more precise for target shooting. It also has nearly 5" of eye relief, and can be mounted far enough forward that you don't need to use a hammer extension.
t-roy, I don't suppose you have a picture of one mounted forward of the hammer? I can't find one on google and would love to be able to avoid using the extension. I tried my hand at photoshop. That burris timberline 2-7x26 is almost identical in size, shape to the leupold rimfire. It is mounted on a 336 underneath the 1894.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
I like the Leupold 1.5-5X20 VXIII'S and Nikon 1.5-4.5X20 scopes as well. I also have several Weaver K2.5's, both old and the last ones made that work great on the pistol cartridge carbines. DP

·
Banned
1,758 Posts
Another vote for the Leupold.

Try it. Odds are, you'll love it. If not, sell it here, and you won't lose much (if anything) on the deal.

Brocky

Reactions: whitewater

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
View attachment 101574 View attachment 101575 View attachment 101576 I used a Williams ace in the hole on this 336Y and mounted a 2.5x20 scope on Burris Zee rings well forward of the hammer also. This setup would probably work with the 1894 as well. The Barska had 6" of eye relief vs the Leupold with 5", but you could always remove the rear peep and slide the scope to the rear more if need be to get the proper eye relief.

T-Roy,

Who cerekoted the rifle for you....nice work?

Chocdog

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm leaning toward the fx2 2.5x20 at this point, but I'm not sure how it would mount, since the stock LOP is shorter than t-roy's gun because of no recoil pad, it would mount ever further forward, clearing the hammer. (yay!) But with the 1894's shorter receiver and the far forward mounting nature of the scope, the only thing I can see that might work is the xs extended scout rail or the williams ace in the hole, and I don't need or want the peep and the extra height of the rail over the warne offerings. anybody got any thoughts? Part of the fx2's charm is the light weight, and I hate to negate that with a large bulky mount.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I put a Crossfire II 2-7x32 Dead-Hold BDC Reticle on my 44 magnum. 11.3 inches in length 32 mm 14 oz. I have not had any issues with it so far.

·
Registered
687 Posts
COMPARE A vortex diamondback 1.75x5x32 to your leupold, think u might be suprise. I have the 1x3x20 weaver but the fov just seems small with me, so its not on a hunting rifle or atleast big game. Weaver is great, just didnt like the fov. But after purchasing the vortex from opticsplanet and the great price and forever warranty I am afraid leupold will not be seeing my money anytime soon unless I purchase used off the forum...but the fxII is a good scope, but my vortex blows a vxIII away that is 35mm leupy, might just be my eyes though, but I am sold on them. vortex is 10.1" L, and can be purchased between 150 and 169 if you ask the " online chat folks " for the best price. they will haggle with you and have promotions constantly that change daily. good luck

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I like vortex myself. I had a viper I loved but sold it to buy a sightron s1 and a burris ff2. neither as good, but not too bad and then I had 2 scopes instead of 1. :/

I have looked at the diamondback, but it comes up dimensionally challenged and optically neutral (to me) to the leupold rimfire. It's a little heavier, longer, and the rear ocular bell is bigger than the rimfire. Even the turrets are bigger. It's just a bulkier scope. With the midway coupon code of 45 off 200, the rimfire comes in about $10 more than the vortex, making cost a bit of a wash. But at full price it becomes tempting. I just have a really nice 1894c and I don't want to cut corners on the scope. I really just can't figure out how to mount the fx2.
Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Shotgun

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well I made a paper cutout of the fx2 today and used it and a ruler to see where it would mount on the gun. Looks like I could do it with a scout mount, but at that point I would have several inches of scope rail out in front of the scope, and a fixed 2.5x mounted that far forward might as well be a scout scope.
Shotgun Wood

1 - 20 of 29 Posts