Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Watch out on used Leupold scopes. The Chinese made/makes a Leupold clone that is hard to tell the difference.
I put a used Burris 1.5x5 on mine. I am happy with it.

Reactions: mikej

·
Registered
928 Posts
Leupold VXII 2-7's and a VXII 1-4 as a backup - I've run some fairly stout loads (Buffalo Bore: 500 gr Barnes Buster, 350 gr Barnes X and Grizzly's 400 gr punch) with no issues.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am a firm believer in buying the best you can afford. Two of my 47-70 have leupold scope the third one has a Trijicon MRO. No problems so far make sure you also buy quality mount and rings.

I have had my far share of cheap optics and frustration that sometimes come with them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a vintage Redfield 2-7X33 glossy on a Leupold STD base and Redfield bottom screw rings on my Century Limited V, and a matte Leupold 2.5-8 VariX III on my regular 1895S, using Leupold STD base and Leupold no-logo rings.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I put a vortex 2x7 on mine and it works great and has plenty of eye relief, This is my sighting in target from 50 yards. It started out about 20 inches low and to the left. You can see the adjustments until it was dead center. I then moved it up about 1 inch. The last shots were two three shot groups at the crease in the 'neck' of the target. the thee shot group on the top right was the last group. The group is under an inch center to center.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Looking for people with experience with LPVO(low power variable optic). Just want to see what everyone is running. Already broke a weaver 3x9x40mm(magnification ring wont turn) want to see what scopes will withstand the recoil of my dark series. 1-6x 24 type. Vortex, bushnell, Leopold, maybe monstrum,vector , and other off brands for 100-200 range. And decent rings. No scout positioning or scope way over hammer
People have good things to say about Vortex. The warranty is very good. For Leupold you would be in the Freedom series at around $200. I just got a VX-Freedom 2-7x33 that I'm very happy with. There is a Freedom scope 1.5-4x20 that I'm interested in that retails 200-250 range. I guess it comes down to personal preference and what you find in stock at a good price.

I am definitely not a scope aficionado but I really like my Leupold Freedom, it's got the Leupold warranty, and it's made in Oregon.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have four rifles with five scopes, four of them are small variable Leupolds for hunting and fifth is Vortex PST 6-24 for long range shooting and stalking.

Tikka T3 Lite 308 Win + Leupold VX-3i 1,75-6
Tikka T3 Hunter 9,3x62 + Leupold VX-R 1,5-4
Marlin 1895 45-70 + Leupold Freedom Scout 1,5-4
CZ 455 22 LR + Leupold VX-I 2-7

I have had few others too, but Leupolds are staying. For me Leupold offers reliability and performance for the buck, Vortex too but Leupold beats it everyway.

When hunting moose and other big game with dog, shooting distances are rather short. Thats why small variable is more and I wont buy scope wich has min. magnification higher than 2. I keep my scopes at the lowest and adjust if there is need.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

VORTEX 2-7x32 CROSSFIRE II
VORTEX PRO SERIES RINGS.

We will see how it goes with this setup. Loading up some 400grain speer's at a friends house soon. AR-COMP will be the powder. 53-56grains will be the goal. Trying to get as much velocity outta that short barrel without getting too fast for the speer bullet.

·
Registered
13,437 Posts
I generally don’t do variables. I’ve only ever bought one quality variable new. A Burris 3x9, bought it for my 1895 about 5 yrs ago. Rifle has been shot less than 20rds when I took scope off. My Bro has same scope on 444 bought same day. His has been fired several hundred rounds. He thinks 444 is best thing since sliced bread. Him and nephew are constantly playing with it and the Burris holds up fine. I have a Burris variable on a Ruger #3/375 Win. I didn’t buy it new, it came on a Rem 700 in 300mg. Bought off friend and he bought rifle & scope new. I would say less than 200rds of 300mg
were endured by this scope and I put close to that on it myself. Holding up fine. Had Weavers Varibles turn into junk on magnums. The economy scopes are all junk. Trouble is they will work and be decently clear. You never know when you pull the trigger if they are going to self destruct. Don’t mean much at range but can ruin a hunt. In general if I was buying new variable it would be Leupold.
I have had several and worked well, no trouble at all. I have Bro and buddies who are Variable Nuts.
I trade any ones I get for straight power Leupold. 69BAF5C4-25F6-48FA-9B6E-7A9AD099BD7B.jpeg

21 - 29 of 29 Posts