Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for people with experience with LPVO(low power variable optic). Just want to see what everyone is running. Already broke a weaver 3x9x40mm(magnification ring wont turn) want to see what scopes will withstand the recoil of my dark series. 1-6x 24 type. Vortex, bushnell, Leopold, maybe monstrum,vector , and other off brands for 100-200 range. And decent rings. No scout positioning or scope way over hammer

·
Super Moderator
23,823 Posts
I run a Vortex 2-7X over my Marlin 45-70 and a Ruger bolt action 358 Win--both rifles shoot full power loads. The Vortex scopes have held together just fine.

Reactions: turbobug

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I expected out of those companies. I might have to just bite the bullet and drop the coin on something like that. Would be nice if the cheaper no name brands held up to the punishment. I like the look and reticle of the monstrum and the fact it can be bought with rings but I'm leery of the name. Might have to try one on my AR

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
I run two LPVs, both 1-6x24 and am very happy with them. Though they are on bolt rifles, not my 1894c. Both scopes have simple German No4 rets, with an illuminated dot. I discourage illuminated rets if any more than a simple dot. For me at least they overpower low light vision, which kinda defeats the object. One is a Delta and the other Ultimax. Both made in Japan.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That's what I expected out of those companies. I might have to just bite the bullet and drop the coin on something like that. Would be nice if the cheaper no name brands held up to the punishment. I like the look and reticle of the monstrum and the fact it can be bought with rings but I'm leery of the name. Might have to try one on my AR
Mate let price be your guide.........................pay once cry once and have a lifetime of good service or pay cheap and suffer accordingly.
I was going to put an Aimpoint Red Dot on my 45/70(over $1k) but it was just too much coin so I settled on a Leupold 1X RDS Red Dot on for half the price and got 10% off because there was an in store sale which Leupold had put a special on.

Make sure you get the right rails to suit a Red Dot on if you go down that path and again don't scrimp on the quality as buying cheap will kick you in the butt again when you need things to perform at their best.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Vortex Crossfire II 2-7. Well past 1000rds atop my GBL. Absolutely no issues. Long eye relief, bright, clear, less than $150. What's not to like other than the country of manufacture? I own a half dozen of them.

·
Super Moderator
11,788 Posts
Most of my scoped lever guns wear Leupold 1.5-5x20s or 1-4x20s. Have had to use the warranty before and they stand behind their product. Made in the U.S.A. which suits me fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for your input. I tell people buy once cry once all the time! I guess I just needed it smacked into my own head. Now the hard part..... convincing my wife😟

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm running a Leupold Rifleman 2x7 on my GG and it's holding up well. Compact and looks right on the rifle. Nice & clear too.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
nikon 2x7x32 on my sbl
Same scope I have on my Classic Model 1895 - been on for 5 years now and has withstood many 400-grain loads in the 1700-1800 range. But, seems I've heard Nikon is getting (or has gotten out of) the riflescope business.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have quite a few low power variables. If you're going to buy new, Leupold or Vortex hold up. The older made in Colorado Burris scopes are very good, but I haven't had good luck with made in the Philippines ones. If you want to go real low budget find an old Japanese made Bushnell 1.5x - 4x - 20mm. I have one on my 336 35 Remington that's holding up well. Great optics with the glass made by Bausch and Lomb. I see them around for about $30 - $80.

·
Registered
238 Posts
...Would be nice if the cheaper no name brands held up to the punishment...
Would be nice if a Kia had the quality and features of a Mercedes. There is a reason quality costs money. IME, demanding reliability and optical excellence usually requires more than the cost of ten Quarter Pounders.....

IME Leopold and Burris are top choices for the OP’s requirement.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I've got a Weaver 1-3x on my 1895S and a Vortex 2-7x on the 1895. The 1895S is set up as my bad weather gun, and the 1895 is the fair weather gun; set-ups work just fine for me.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Leupold VXII 2x7 with no issues.

·
Super Moderator
15,668 Posts
Mine has a Vortex Crossfire II 3 x 9 x 40... More scope than I would have put on it, but it came with the rifle and works a treat... No zero change, clear optics good dusk dawn views... I my change it someday but if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts