Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 39 d that I'm wanting to put a Leupold 2-7 on to squirrel hunt with. I have the factory scope base that I got with the gun,the way it is slotted it looks like it is made for weaver rings.i had some old weavers lying around and I tried them on and they fasten down alright but they look lop sided. Do these mounts require a special ring and if so where could a person find a set,preferably in gloss? Thanks

·
Registered
425 Posts
Back in the 70's when the D's were made. The base that marlin included with them were grooved like the groves that many 22 rifle receivers were.
If the base don't have have slots cut across them you need regular tip off rings for a grooved receiver.
I have both kind of mounts on my 39's and they just take different rings.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Back in the 70's when the D's were made. The base that marlin included with them were grooved like the groves that many 22 rifle receivers were.
If the base don't have have slots cut across them you need regular tip off rings for a grooved receiver.
I have both kind of mounts on my 39's and they just take different rings.
They sold them with Rimfire Mounts? I never saw a new one so I would of never known.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
If you are absolutely sure it's a Marlin factory-supplied mount, there are two sorts I've had. Earliest one is a steel 3/8" rail that's just receiver length. These are suitable for the pencil scopes of the era, trying to put anything heavier on one will just cause a lot of heartburn with the rings slipping on the steel rail. Second sort is a "two-step" alloy mount, it has both a 3/8" rail on top and the Weaver-style rail under that. It's cast and mine have had a very rough anodizing job. There are cross-cuts which may or may not line up with rings, scope turret and bells. The rail on top may also interfere with some rings, I've seen some of those with absolutely no space between the clamping bolt and the ring, wouldn't work at all. Sounds like you may have the second sort with that style of ring. Two choices here. Dump the factory base, get a genuine Weaver brand base and keep your rings. Or dump the rings for some that fit. You may still have issues with getting your scope in the right position for you with that short mount. Cheap import rings seem to work best, mine came with my shorty scope and work fine. Don't try using that 3/8" rail with anything but a really small and lightweight scope.

Stan S.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts