Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon Marlin Maniacs. I was wondering if i can get some suggestions from my fellow maniacs. I have purchased a Marlin 336 30-30 and have decided to scope it. My problem is I am not sure what base and rings to go with. I should say all my rifles have picatinny rails on them, this however is my first Marlin (marlinitis sets in quick i have noticed). Anyway I like the picatinny rail because it gives more flexibility on moving the scope forward or backwards to gain the proper eye relief. The only rails i noticed were a warne, good reviews. $100 and one by EGW, bad reviews, about $40. Can anyone steer me in the right direction. Secondly, what rings do you recommend (quick release?), i prefer something that can be taken off quickly and remounted quickly without losing zero. Thanks for your help...

Ozzie

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
If you can stand the tarrif, go Warne on both. Their priducts are generally excellent and the price is not that much more than the other top brands. shop around, you might find some discount at optics planet, camera land or some other mail order house, Bargans and Cabelas (or Midway) are not generally used in the same sentence, but I did find a deal on Warne rings at Cabelas a few years ago and bought several sets, The other top brand of rail escapes me just now, but a search should turn it up. I din't think they do rings. Best wishes, Jack

PS: it is XS, used to be Ashley Outdoors, Only the name has changed. jt

·
Registered
155 Posts
I don't think there's a pictinney rail available for the Marlin 336, but there's so many new products coming out each day, they might have one by now, with lots of folks putting on scout scopes nowadays. I use either Weaver or Leupold aluminum bases on most of my rifles, because they're strong, work for me, and are available locally, AND they've been around for many years making great accessories for guns. As to "Quick-Release type of rings, I would go for Leupold, as they're well made, much more readily available. You might also want to get the base mounts in steel, because aluminum bases might deform over time when you remove/replace scope for whatever reason. I don't know what Warne,Talley or Burris have available, but they're also good products.
Del

·
Banned
2,583 Posts
I've never found a name brand aluminum base that wasn't fine with any rifle I've used them on, including a Marlin. I purchased some Cabelas brand bases with several (8??) multi-slots when on close-out and they have worked very well on the Marlins I've put them on including my 1895. Burris used to make a multi-slot, but no longer does. The Leupold Rifleman 1 pc base looks to be what I'll likely use on my 1895M, as it has a rear slot farther forward than Weaver's and also has two forward slots to help in forward ring placement. I'll go with Warne Maxima QD rings (low) as I have a couple of sets of them and they not only work well, but also work well with any Weaver type base.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts