Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I was just wondering what the consensus is for the proper torque on the screws that hold the scope firmly within the rings without being "too tight". There has got to be a repeatable value.

·
Registered
519 Posts
i emailed weaver a while ago and asked the same question, receiver base screws 6/48 and 8/40- 15 to 18 inch pounds, all cap screws 12 to 15 inch pounds, thumb screws/nuts for cross-bolts 35 inch pounds, picatinny rings 35 inch pounds, grand slam [all steel] ring sets- crossbolt screws [ 6/48 ] 25 inch pounds, grandslam/ redfield [ dovetail mounts ] rear windage 6/48 screws 25 inch pounds. hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Good response from 133 and jml. An especially a great question. The fallacy of scope mounting lies in the idea "tighter is better". You know when the variable dial is difficult to turn the torque is too great. Too light will do the obvious.
Wheeler makes a great torque sensitive driver with all the bits needed for any scope mounting project, I highly recommend it.
Ss

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.