Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Have three Leupold 2x7, one of which is a rimfire, and not marked as such. Can't get them mixed up, as the parallax on the .22 is set up around 50 yards, groups really open up at 100 yds and beyond.

Reactions: doubloon

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have a Leopold freedom 1.25-4 on my triple 4 but I'm thinking about putting a redfield 2-7 on it instead. Have one in my 760 and love it.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
All my hunting rifles lever/bolt/semi-auto wear 3x10x50 Leupold var-x 111's and Meopta 3x10x50's. All have heavy duplex. ALL give great low light transmission and dialed down to 3x give a great clean WIDE F.O.V.. Much more than a smaller scope. I won't use anything smaller. Also early and late they really allow you to hunt up till the end of shooting time. If they look a little top heavy so what. I'll take performance over looks any day.

·
Registered
94 Posts
All my hunting rifles lever/bolt/semi-auto wear 3x10x50 Leupold var-x 111's and Meopta 3x10x50's. All have heavy duplex. ALL give great low light transmission and dialed down to 3x give a great clean WIDE F.O.V.. Much more than a smaller scope. I won't use anything smaller. Also early and late they really allow you to hunt up till the end of shooting time. If they look a little top heavy so what. I'll take performance over looks any day.
The problem of seeing the reticle in low light conditions is why I like an adjustable illuminated one like in the Bushnell I linked to. I've used that scope and it's great for quick target acquisition and range estimation. In low light, the reticle is very easy to see. I think one thing that should factor in is the objective diameter as that governs how much light the scope can possibly gather. A 30mm tube would be good too but they're currently pretty pricey.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Scope prices have been going up. I know in the US you now have to pay more on Chinese gear, Vortex etc cause of the tariffs, but not here. Still, I have a couple of scopes that cost me c.£500.00 each a couple of years back and they are £700.00 plus today.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Leupold 1.5 X 4 VX Freedom, works good for me. However I still think the 444 looks better with no optics at all, but time has taken its tole on the old peepers and the scope has to be there.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I have a 2-7x33 Refield Revolution on my 444. Here's a pic of my 45-70 with the same exact setup. Its a little smaller than the 3-9x40 scopes and has plenty of power for the woods deer hunting I do.
Semper Fi

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Mine has a Leupold VX3i 1.75-6x32. What I like about it is that it is small and light, it has a HUGE field of view on the lowest power (I can easily take shots on deer/pigs at 10 yards without just seeing a field of brown), and the light gathering is far superior to the smaller straight tube scopes of similar quality. I don't need over 4x for any real world hunting situation with a 444, but the 6x can be handy for range work. Honestly I doubt I will often ever turn it up above the minimum magnification when in the field but even when I do it'll be somewhere in the middle at ~4x rather than all the way up to 6x.

Mine is set up with a customized Skinner express scope base, Talley rings, a rear sight dovetail filler with threaded aperture receiver, and Skinner one piece milled front sight. Nice and rugged options for both open sights and optics

Attachments

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
My Marlin .444 have a Vortex Crossfire II Riflescope 4-12 x 44 Dead-Hold BDC (MOA) on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For all my lever guns I find that the 1×4 , 2×7 work the best . The ocular lens dosent go far back over the hammer.like a 3×9 would. Donto the long eye relief. where I hunting in maine and my shots are under 50yds 90% of the time. I prefer the 2.5×8×36mm with a german #4 reticle. If your shots are over 100yds. Stay away with the german #4.

·
Banned
3,321 Posts
ive got a few of the leupold 2-7's but the 1.5-4 looks very interesting, I came to the realization that that 3-9x is not real necessary at 100 yards after getting an old savage side button mag release gun in 243 that had a 4x on it and took it out to the range as is and was shooting 100 yard 1.5" groups just the way it was with cheap 100 grain ammo I got at Walmart

·
Super Moderator
15,748 Posts
I believe a quality 2x7 riflescope is the best match to the capabilities of the 444 Marlin® cartridge.

Reactions: Av8rPaul
21 - 38 of 38 Posts