Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What recommendations does everyone have for optics? My intended use is deer hunting in wooded areas where the furthest shot would be inside of 200yd. I had considered just using iron sights, but the front post covers up too much of the target at distances beyond 100yd...

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Yes, the post can get a bit thick. If you've a steady hand you can paint a thin white line down the centre. As for scopes, I would go from a x4 to an x6, no more. A 1-4 or 1-6 variable might be worth considering. Reticles are worth thinking about, the 'German' No4 would be my choice as a hunter, but the Duplex works well.

·
Registered
694 Posts
There are plenty of companies that make quality scopes.
I have used just about all of them over the years.
Now just about all my scopes are Leupold.
About the only thing I hunt anymore are Coues Whitetail and 300 yards give or take is an average shot.
I usually keep my scopes on 6 power when I hunt them.
If I were to hunt in the woods I believe a 4 power would be fine.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Front sights can be had in variety of bead diameters or blade thickness. The issue of sight covering up to much of the target should not be happening if properly zeroed. Shooting matches for example, with open sights out to 1,000 yards, the target should be just on top of the blade, not covering the target. Keep all my non adjustable open sighted rifles set with the same zero, 5 inches high at 100 yards, which in the case of the 30-30 170 gr gives a point blank range of 200 yds, or 300 yards with a 308 150 gr FMJ. On a broadside deer, with this zero, if you hold about 1/3 of the way up the shoulder , your are golden thru 200 yds.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
There is a reason variable power scopes are so popular. I'm also a fan of a larger mm optic bell. This give you more light absorption and a brighter look in the woods.

Right now Midway USA has some nice Burris on sale at one heck of a deal! I don't need one, but felt like buying one anyway the deals were so good. :embarassed:

DR

Reactions: Mike Britton

·
Registered
464 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Another vote for a Leupold variable. I have three 2x7s. Tough, light, crystal clear, reliable, excellent eye relief, and they won't break your bank. Perfect power settings for distances out to 200yds.

Reactions: tranteruk

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
As a rule of thumb I have found the 30mm tubes while great on larger bolt and black guns look and feel too bulky on a lever. I dont scope a lever at the moment, but when I have I stick to a 1" tube.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Reactions: doubloon

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
2x7 Leupold,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Super Moderator
7,929 Posts
IMHO you can’t do much better than the Leupold 2X7, the older I get the more I appreciate up to 7 power. It just seems the 2X7 and a 444 Marlin, are Soul Mates!

Reactions: hawkeyesatx

·
Super Moderator
23,558 Posts
2-7X Leupold or a 2-7X Redfield Revolution (made by Leupold) since your shots could be IVO the 200 yard mark.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Here in the DFW area we have almost a dozen gunshows a year. Because my close friend is a FFL dealer, I make almost all of them.
After a while, I have seen the same stuff so much I don't spend much time looking.
But lately, I have had great fun shopping for used scopes. It is fun to shop for good deals, and there are good deals to be had.
Keep in mind however, that condition is important because there are very few repair stations out there and repair/refinish is, inmyarrogentopinion very expensive. So the trick is shop a lot, and buy the nicest you can afford!

As far as the OP's question, I would use the ubiquitous 3-9X40 for all the reasons that make it so popular. Good light gathering, best compromise on field of view, and probably best price overall.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts