Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I really need a "rimfire" scope for a .22? I was looking at buying this 2x7 33mm scope for my Marlin 336 lever: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=572950

But, if I'd ever want to upgrade and put that scope on a .22mag or .17HMR, would there be a problem with that? I see there's "rimfire" scopes and regular. I would assume the regular ones would work just fine??

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
As I understand it, the main difference between "rimfire" and "centerfire" scopes is the range at which they are parallax-free. Now, I'm not going to attempt an explanation of parallax, other than to say that a scope is set to be parallax-free at one range -- normally 50 yards for a rimfire scope, 100 for a centerfire -- and if you're shooting at greater or lesser range than the ideal your eye position behind the scope becomes more critical.

I have long used centerfire scopes on my .22's with little problem, but some can be troublesome if I don't take particular care to get the same cheek-weld and eye position for every shot.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Same here. I use regular 4X scopes on my .22 and a 3X9 on my .17 HMR with good results. When a new gun comes along it makes scope switching easy.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I use a 'rimfire' 4X on my 336. And it works out fine. A simple explanation of parallax is where the cross hairs and target are on the same visual plane. The less magnification your scope has or is set to the less noticable this is. My understanding is that unless you are shooting way past 100yds with a rimfire scope it's not an issue for most people.

I was a little concerned about this on my 35 until I turned in several 10 shot groups under 2" @100 with factory ammo.

As was mentioned if you are shooting much closer or farther than the optimal parallax of your scope careful attention to cheek weld is very important.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Best deal for precision rimfire is Adjustable Objective (AO) scopes. You can get a Bushnell Banner AO scope for $75 that is paralax free at any range. Mine is a 4x12x40 AO that I was able to max the BDT with.

Otherwise any scope can be used on a rimfire. Just depends on your needs :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts