Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took out my 336D 35 Rem today to try sighting in some ammo and I came to one conclusion, I cant see as good as I used to. I just could not see the targets good enough at anything past 30 yards to keep a good group. I work at Sportsmans Warehouse here and I went in today and looked at some scopes. I have never used scopes and I love the williams peeps that I have on most of my lever guns. But since I will be bear hunting soon I want every advantage I can get. I figure my shots will be at around 50-100 yards max. The scopes I like the best are the
1.5X4X20mm. They are small, light and seem to offer all that I will need for my lever guns. I think they use these on shotguns and blackpowder alot, what do you think of these on a 336 (other than levers shouldnt have scopes). They seem to have a good field of view and they seem to draw in the light pretty good. Anyone try these type of scopes on a lever gun and how did they work the ones im looking at are made by Leupold, Busnell. and Nikon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a Bushnell 1.5-4.5 on a knight muzzleloader. It draws plenty of light. I think I would get something with a little higher top end power if I were buying another one, anything past 100 looks pretty small with the thick cross hairs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can see where they wouldnt be the best for long range shooting, my main concern is that they will hold up, I cant think of the last time I took a shot at something over 100 yards, I pretty much just hunt predators that I call in, the areas I hunt are very thick and normally I cant even see further than 50 yards.

·
Registered
14 Posts
:?: yitehunter lookat the bushnell tropy and simmins 3-9-32 i like to hunt the thickits to hope this helps good shuttin have nice day

dd375

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Maybe I missed it but what brand? Will help to say how that brand holds up. As for the size 1.5 x 4 is fine but I prefer a larger field of view unless I have really good eye relief (pistol scope on one rifle) where I keep both eyes open so can see whats going on to bring the scope into line.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
A couple scopes to consider, both Leupolds, The 1x4 and 2x7 you cant go wrong with the quality and the are small scopes that dont screw up the balance of the rifle. I have the 1x4 on my 336D and 1895G.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I've been posing quesions on this at several forums.

I've been recommended to use a Nikon Pro-Staff 2-7X by 32. It is a "shotgun" scope so it has a bit longer eye relief than standard rifle scope. I've heard the only real difference is the thickness of the crosshairs and also that the "paralax" is set for like 75 yards on a shotgun rifle than the 150 or so for a standard rifle scope. So I guess if your shots are not more than 150 yrds than a shotgun scope is perfectly suited to a "brush gun".

Yesterday I compared side by side the Leupold 2-7X by 33 and the Nikon prostaff 2-7X by 32. I could not tell visually the difference between the two. The Nikon was listed at $130 while the Leupold was listed at $200. I guess you pay $70 for the lifetime warranty for the Leaupold.

Does anyone else have any good reasons why one should NOT use a shotgun scope on a Marlin in 35 Rem?

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
You will notice the difference in low light. And the Leupolds have good eye relief.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have one scoped 336 and I use a Nikon 4x. They call it a rim fire scope because the paralax is set at 50 yds. Also it comes with 3/8 dove tail type rings. I compared Nikon and Leopould-sp- side by side in the store an the NIkon seemed brighter. Good field of view compact light and woks very well for me. Also I used it some on a .308 carbine e-mailed Nikon in case recoil might be an issue and it was not.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well today at work I bought and installed a Nikon Monarch shotgun Turkey pro scope. Its 1.5X4.5X20 in matte black.I used a Leupold base and leupold low mount rings. It sure fits nice, this lite weight scope doesnt change the feel of the rifle and the eye relief is perfest. The reticle is a crosshair with a diamond shaped center surrounding the crosshair.
I figure the diamond points will make good references for different ranges. I will site it in tmorrow. I can pick up targets quick with it and it does seem to draw in light as good as all the others I tried. Now I just need to shoot some, then go find my bear.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I got a Leupold 2-7X33 VX-I. It only cost 179 bucks brand new. Save up another fifty or sixty dollars and get alot more scope for your money! A $300 rifle doesn't deserve to have to put up with being outfitted with a cheap scope. A products warranty means alot. Buy Leupold!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have Leupold 1-4x on my 336D and 1895M. On my 1895G I have a Leupold 2.5-8x(don't have anything else at the moment) .But the best scope for this type application that I own is Leupolds 1.5-5x and thats on my 416 REM MAG at the moment !!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think anything with a 1.5x minimum power is good. With the 35 you want a wide field of view and hunting anywhere where there is bush the higher powers are just too high.

I really like the leupold 2x7 on other guns, but the actual magnification is 2.5x on the minimum setting, and that for me is too high for the close range 35 rem. Any 1.5x4 or so will work well. And at that power range the objective doesn't have to be big at all.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have Leupolds on all of my rifles ranging from the M8 Scout to Vari-X III and one Mark 4. Dont ask what the Mark 4 cost. The main differance I have found is the quality of the glass and the coatings. I think they make the best glass in America and it costs a little bit more.

One thing to think about, what ever works for you, "Works For You" and why change?

Never had a Leupold fail on me. I cant say that about the other brands.

Good luck
Kevin 2

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
big medicine said:
A couple scopes to consider, both Leupolds, The 1x4 and 2x7 you cant go wrong with the quality and the are small scopes that dont screw up the balance of the rifle. I have the 1x4 on my 336D and 1895G.
I too have that setup on my 336D and 1895M that 1-4 Leupold just seems to look right on top those two. :D Need to get another 1-4 for the 1895G and a couple 2.5 Leupold's for the 1894P and 1894CP. But all that is a way down the road. :?

·
Registered
662 Posts
You done good getting the Nikon.

I have several Leupolds, and a number of other good scopes, and a bunch of cheap ones, too.

My .35 m336 wears a Simmons 3-9x-40mm, and my .30/30 Glenfield m30 wears a Cabela's 2.5-7x Muzzleloader scope.

The .35 wasn't a major player when I set it up as I "inherited" the gun from an old mentor who hunted with it for years with a ancient 3x Weaver. It had lost the Weaver, so I just stuck the scope on it. But, it's "stuck" there, because with it's heavier crosshairs seems to be a perfect match.

The $50.00 Simmons is uncannily bright and clear, holds zero, and with the 40mm @ 3x has a wide field of view. All the deer I've shot over the past several years have been at 3 or 4x, so the only time it gets set on 9x is at the range, or on an afternoon food plot stand where I can get up to a 200yd shot. (rifle is sighted in 2.5" high at 100yds, so is "0" at 150yds and -4" at 200).

I use the .30/30 primarily in the AM, and all deer have been shot at 2.5-4x setting. But, this rifle/scope set up is over 1lb lighter than the .35, so it does yeoman duty where I intend to do a lot of walking.

(but, so does my Rem m7 in .223, but we won't talk about it.........It wears a Leupold 2.5-8x Vari-X III, and HAS shot a few deer at 8X, some, I won't say how far......yes they were a wayyyyyyyyys out there!!! on a pasture/foodplot/gas-line right-of-way)

Time to go to bed. It's 12:16 and the alarm goes of at 5:30. Going to a different WMA to look for some pigs!.

Now, which rifle gets to go??????

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have been very pleased with a Nikon Buckmaster 4x scope that I have on my muzzleloader. Very nice optics for a very reasonable price.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bushnell Banner and See-Thru Mounts

We have three 30-30 rifle and one 45-70 that utilize Kwik Site and See-Thru mounts. One other 45-70 uses Weaver see thru mounts. All 30-30's now have a Bushnell Banner 1.75-4x 32mm long eye relief (6 inches) scope mounted. The 1895SS uses a Leupold and the 1895G uses another Banner 4x. The advantage is you can use the open sights at close range if needed or if the lighting/conditiond require it you have the option of using the scope. The Kwik sights are better in my opinion as you can sight quicker than with the Weaver mount. My 10 year old shot his first black bear last month (280 lbs) using Winchester 170 Power Points in his 30-30, and the ability to use the open sights helped me with a black bear as it charged me last year (shot at 21 feet away). We've used this set up for a number of years and it has proven very flexible.

·
Registered
431 Posts
My all time favorite scope on the Marlin is a Leupold m8 fixed 2.5X 20mm scope. You talk about small, light, bright, and tough! Don't currently have one but I have the rifle that it will go on! Check one out they run right at $200 on sale.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
35hunter,

Excellent advice. Is the M8 still in production?

For whatever reason I prefer a variable, the Leupold Vari X II 1-4 x 20 is tough to beat.

At any rate it's irrellevant, you have made your decision and I believe you have made a good choice. Next time you need a scope give Leupold a look, it's almost impossible to go wrong.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts