Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I like a 1-4x20 Leupold. I prefer the looks of the straight tube as it just looks like it was made for a Marlin lever. At the most I would probably go for 2-7 of a good quality. I prefer the Leupolds when I can afford them. I would rather buy a clean used Leupold at a gun show than buy most Asia made optics. But opinions vary.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Got a Weaver K-4 on top of mine.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
I like a 1-4x20 Leupold. I prefer the looks of the straight tube as it just looks like it was made for a Marlin lever...
Yup... That's what my 336C in .35 Remington wears.

336C35_1[1].JPG

Leupold VXII 1-4x20 and a 336 in .35 Remington seem to go together like peas and carrots.

·
Super Moderator
25,165 Posts
I have had 1-4X, 4X, 2-7X scopes of differing makes--all worked. I now have a 1960s Leupold M8 4x on my Sears Model 45 in 35 Rem. I would go with a Weaver or Leupold with a 1-3X/1-4X scope. I like the 2-7X Redfield Revolution (made by Leupold) if you need higher magnification for your hunting pursuits.

IMGP0065.JPG

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
I use a Bushnell 1.5-4.5 on mine. It was an inexpensive scope but has held its zero and is quite clear. sometimes think about trying the 2X7 but am too lazy to replace it and it works.

DEP

·
Super Moderator
25,165 Posts
I had that Busnell Banner too but ended up selling it with a 336W. It was a fantastic scope for the price ($80). I have the Bushnell Banner 2-7X on my muzzleloader--great scope for the price as well.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Now that does look good. How much eye releaf
Does that scope have.?
Not sure what the actual measurement is, but I have the scope set properly (for my build) to shoot it from field expedient positions. Shooting from the bench takes a bit more effort in positioning my head on the stock. According to the Leupold site for this scope, the eye relief varies from 3.7 to 4.2 inches - - not sure if that is dependent upon what power settings the scope is at or not.

I know there are tons of different scopes that folks swear by, and based on your budget which will work the best for you. Some time ago, there was a thread with a couple of long posts (by big medicine, IIRC) where several different types and brands of scopes were reviewed under field conditions - with photos. It was a great reference, but darned if I can find it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I use a 1-4x20 also. Keeps with the rifles nice lines. Got it mounted on talley extra low 1 pieces.

By the way, mines a nikon monarch. German reticle (#4?) Also a nice piece of glass. Im not sure she wins against the vx3, but next to the others my eyes liked the monarch. Very much a taste thing though.

My dad, who is of course older than me, prefers his 2-7x32. He shot a spike a couple years ago he thought was a doe ("button head" buck) so he likes a little extra magnification. Eyes get tired with age I spose.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
For the 35 I'll fall in line with the Leupold 1-4 x 20... Mine's an old vari x II, it has taken a boat load of deer, mostly on 1x.
Ss

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Same gun from useful to extreme. I like the small shotgun scopes with either fixed 2.5 or 1-4 within 300 yds you just don't need more unless you are target shooting.

Actually the large scope gets on a lot of rifle for load testing. It's an 8-32 with 1/8 min dot.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I have three .35 Remington rifles, and they're all scoped slightly differently.

No. 1 --- Remington Model 760 with Old Weaver steel tubed K-4 scope. (Decent shooter, nothing special but easily minute of deer type rifle)

No. 2 --- CVA Scout V2 with Leupold VX-II variable 2x7. (this one is the tack driver of the bunch shooting tiny groups with Remington factory 200 gr Corelokt ammo)

No. 3 --- Marlin 336 XLR with Leupold 2.5x Scout scope. (this one shoot very small groups with LVR Ammo)

Life is good for me and my 35s, and for some reason, I still want another one. Go figure........

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
It`s not a bean field rifle so no need to over-scope it. A 4X looks like it belongs on it. At least on mine it does. Been there for 50 yrs. Now that`s staying power. :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I just ran over to the LGS. Picked a Weaver base and a hammer ex. I have to try the William s peep first. But I have a scope I took off a shotgun. .
Now I have everything I need to try some did. Setups.
It only happens to me I just got home and the package with the hammer spur is missing the d-m
Set screw.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
My wife has the Leupold 2-7 X 33 VXR scope on her 336/35 Rem.

336 Apr 14 1 Small.jpg

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Since you will most likely be shooting man/deer/bear size prey out to 200 yards and no squirrels at that range all that is needed is a 1-4x20 scope, but a fixed 4x scope or a small 2-7x32 scope would work as well. 2-7 scope is the biggest i would ever use.
Personally I use the excellent Weaver V3 1-3x20 scope that I can strongly recommend.

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
I agree with all who suggest 1 X 20 mm to 2 x 7 33 mm scopes. I have 1 x 3 x 20 mm Weaver scope on one 335-35R and 2 x 7 x 33 mm Redfield on 336XLR-35R.
T:biggrin: NY

Reactions: dpe.ahoy
1 - 20 of 36 Posts