Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Let's hear the input. 1894 CL in 32-20. It's my yote rifle. Thinking about scoping it. But apertures look better.
Bingo,

Peep sights extend the usable time for aging eyes. If you are shooting 100 yards or less, a hunting velocity load in the strong action will have very little vertical movement out to 100 yards. As long as you can see both the front sight and target clearly, keep with the iron sights. Also, a Lyman 17A front globe will also help. However, as soon as the eyes no longer give you what you need, optics will keep you going for as long as you can.

Consider a Williams Fool Proof with target knobs and a eye cup upgrade. The Williams twilight eye cup and the brass ring will also help aging eyes. BuffaloArms is a good source for both. Consider the smalle and middle size rear apertures, the large is too much with the mounting position on the 1894.

For your pleasure, here is the best single 32-20 load data reference I have found on line.

Enjoy.

I just got back from the range today testing a new load for my 1892 Win 32-20 24" barrel with a cast 110 gr GC bullet moving at 1,800 fps. It is a keeper. I started at 14.0 gr and worked up to 15.5 gr AA-1680 with win small pistol primer looking for the best accuracy. 1,750-1,800 fps was the sweet spot.

32-20 WCF

·
Registered
299 Posts
Myself I would go open sights. Maybe upgrade the rear to a nice Marbles Buckhorn. If the eyes cant make that work than a Williams FP or a Lyman classic rear peep. If the eyes cant make that work than a Leupold FX 2.5X20.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny you mention the FX2.5. 1 of 2 I'd consider. I am leaning toward the peeps though. They're such trim receivers the scope will sure be useful. But I'm still capable with sights. I'm tempted to try the RP's but I don't love the way they look.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Bingo, I'm with PDP and if it were mine (I'd love to find a CCL in .32-20 or .25-20), I would put a peep on it.
I have the Williams on my .357s, but a folding Marbles on the tang would be better!
Out to 100Y or so (your effective range), they are nearly as accurate as a scope & LOOK SO MUCH BETTER!

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
With my eyes, there's no question. I absolutely need to scope it if I want to hit anything.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm pretty well versed in the use of aperture sights. It's just the thought of something smallish at that 100 yard mark? Fox, bobcat, etc. Any of you had a chance to compare Skinner vs. RP side by side?

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
how are your eyes. what are you gonna shoot at. me if I was going to shoot squirrels scope. if not, my eyes are ok so a peep.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
If you want to hunt in the old style, go with the peep. You can get an adjustable aperture from Merit that will help old eyes.

I would get a 4x scope to hunt yotes. You can reach out enough with that rifle to put a 4x to good use. JMHO.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
If it's a lever, just say never. And a hyphenated black powder cartridge is a HECK NO!

Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do appreciate the input. As for sights I was leaning toward Skinner. But yesterday I took my boys shooting than hunting. I really don't care for the windage adjusting on the Skinner. So I'm rethinking it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
No scope. You can scope later if you decide you NEED one. What I notice about scopes on guns that can go with or without...22's, AR's, Levers, big bore pistols etc. is that once you put one on, you'll never get around to taking it back off. Kind of a "then what would you do with it"?

But for now keep the aesthetics of an old school wood and blued steel lever action firearm looking original.

I have a stainless scope on my 1894SS and love that it's there. I will never put a scope on my 1894c.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts