Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm just about to give up on the Tang sight for hunting. I can do real well with the Tang/Globe sight set up at the range but just can't see well enough for squirrel hunting. Missed two yesterday just cause I couldn't pick them out of the leaves well enough!

What is the best scope mount for a 1897 CL (39) and what scope would you guys recommend. If I'm going to put a scope on it, I'm thinking I would rather it be one of those compact scopes.

If you've got pics of your 39's with scopes on them, I'd appreaciate it if you could post some.

Thanks

firstshot

·
Registered
932 Posts
I've had scopes on the 39's I have owned. I think you can get the mount and rings at the local Wal Mart in Bentonville. Do you know where that is? lol. Anyway, Russ has a burris compact 4x12 with AO that is a real nice scope and one like that would look good on your CL. Another good scope which is much less in cost is the simmons 22mag compact. I have owned 3 or 4 of the simmons 22mag scopes and they are hard to beat for the money. Even the full size simmons 22 mag scope would look fine on your rifle as they are not as big as a some of the scopes meant for centerfire rifles. It can be had in a 3x9 and also a 3x9 with AO. Check those out. You'll be glad you have that scope at shawnee.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Is it against the rules to use an Anschutz at "Shawnee"? I am thinking about selling mine.

DG

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Sarge!

I was out on the MidwayUSA site looking at the compacts and that Burris 4-12X 32MM W/AO & target knobs sure is a good lookin scope and it's only 11.3" long. Burris aslo has a 3-9X 32MM w/AO (no target knobs) that's only 10.4" long.

Leupold has a 3-9X 33MM w/AO (no target knobs) thats 11.3" long and a 2-7X 28MM (no AO or Tgt Knobs) thats 9.9" Long.

Definitely want AO, 32/33MM, and at least 3-9X. Don't know that I absolutely need the 4-12x or the Target Knobs, but I sure like that 4-12X Burris though. Has Rusty got that on his Anschutz?

My 1897CL is NOT drilled & tapped for scope mounts so I will have to get that done. Also the top of the 1897 receiver is not flat all the way across the top. Just before you get to the barrel there is a little rise. Are all the 39's that way? Do you know which dovetail mounts will fit the 1897?

firstshot

·
Registered
932 Posts
smoke810 said:
Is it against the rules to use an Anschutz at "Shawnee"? I am thinking about selling mine.

DG

Smoke,
I think there were 3 anschutz rifles at the shawnee hunt last year, no rules on rimfires.

First shot,
I don't know what what mounts fit the 1897. I would guess that it would be the same ones that fit the 39, but maybe not in your case. If you have to have it drilled and tapped I suppose you could have any mount that you wanted.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sarge

I was being a little sarcastic. I was wondering why Firstshot was so concerned about scoping his 39 when he has a rifle as good as they come for squirrel hunting. His "1516D".

DG
Sarge said:
smoke810 said:

DG

Smoke,
I think there were 3 anschutz rifles at the shawnee hunt last year, no rules on rimfires.

First shot,
I don't know what what mounts fit the 1897. I would guess that it would be the same ones that fit the 39, but maybe not in your case. If you have to have it drilled and tapped I suppose you could have any mount that you wanted.

·
Registered
932 Posts
You're right Smoke, but he sold his anschutz. Probably an attack of lunacy during a full moon.

·
Registered
201 Posts
OOPS! I wasn't aware that he had sold his "Annie". I am thinking about selling mine. You can only shoot so many and I haven't shot mine in quite awhile. I am having trouble not shooting my Winchester 52 Repro. Sure do like that rifle. It and the 1516D as well as the Brno # 1 are all three basically the same. And then there is the CZ/varmint to deal with.

DG
Sarge said:
You're right Smoke, but he sold his anschutz. Probably an attack of lunacy during a full moon.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sarge / smoke810

Yep....LOL....guess I have to admit to a bit of lunacy from time to time. The 1416D surely was a fine gun, and I may very well regret selling it some day. It's just that I thoroughly and completely enjoy shooting and hunting with the 1897CL. In my opinion, the 1897's just got so much more class. I just get that "feel good" feeling when I've got the CL in my hands.

It remains to be seen if the CL can shoot as well as the 1416D. I've shot a 5/8" group with the 1897CL with open peep sights. Who knows what she can do with a scope on her. Bet I could max the BDT with her though....LOL.

I know this will sound really crazy to a lot of you, but I've just always been a "one gun" kind of guy. I still have and use a JC Higgins 12 gauge pump that my dad bought back in 1951. I've just never had a good enough reason to get anything else. I've got one shotgun, one muzzleloader, one .22 rifle, and soon to have just one deer/big game rifle. I just got a Browning BAR in 30-06 and will probably be selling my custom 6.5X55 Swede (unless I just keep it for my kids to use when they get older).

I don't know, I just like getting to know a particular gun "very well". I like being an expert with that "one gun" as opposed to being a "good shot" with a bunch of different ones. I read on one of the forums where a sports writer of times gone by (don't remember his name) was quoted as saying: "Beware the man with only one gun.....he probably knows how to shoot it". Also, as far a cost goes, I can spend a bit more on each of my "one guns" as opposed to spending much less on a bunch of different guns used for the same purpose.

Well.....I didn't mean to get of on a tangent there....LOL This "One Gun Vs Many" would probably make a good topic sometime.

At any rate, for now and for hopefully a long, long time in the future my "One Gun" 22LR will be the Marlin 1897 Century Limited!

firstshot

·
Registered
932 Posts
Nothing wrong with that, Firstshot. You just need to get a scope on her so you can shoot squirrels. You're eyes aren't getting any younger.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sarge said:
Nothing wrong with that, Firstshot. You just need to get a scope on her so you can shoot squirrels. You're eyes aren't getting any younger.

Yep Sarge, you're absolutely right. As a matter of fact, I'm just wondering just exactly when do I qualify to get on the "have your coffee ready for you before you get up" list at Shawnee?.... :wink:

firstshot

·
Registered
932 Posts
Well, it won't do you any good to be on that list, nobody pays attention to it anyhow. Capt Ken said he would have my coffee ready when I got up and I ended up having to wait 5 minutes, 5 damn minutes!!!!!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Hi firstshot , I have a 6X40 Tasco on my 39A. the scope is fitted to a Weaver rail using Weaver mounts.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tenex

Hey, that's a good lookin rig. I've about got my scope picked out but haveing trouble finding the right mounting rail. Is the top of your receiver flat all the way across? Mine turns up a bit right before the barrel starts.

firstshot

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Hi firstshot-

All the 39 series rifles have the slight hump at the receiver front.... this gives the barrel threads some strength across the receiver top.

Strange that your CL is not d&t'ed.... there should be 3 screws on top of the receiver. The large head screw holds the upper cartridge guide spring- the 2 smaller screws are filler plug screws ( rail mount screw holes ). the standard weaver rail for the 39-A is stepped to clear the hump at the front of the receiver.

HTH...

Regards

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Yup, Doc’s correct. The weaver rail has a step in it. The thicker part is screwed onto the top of the receiver, and the thinner stepped bit, fits over the top of that little hump.
It seems to work pretty well.
:)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Doc / Tenex

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the Weaver rail is the way to go.

Doc

The 1897 CL only has one screw in the top of the receiver which is probably the one that holds the upper cartridge guide spring.

firstshot

·
Registered
175 Posts
firstshot said:
Doc

The 1897 CL only has one screw in the top of the receiver which is probably the one that holds the upper cartridge guide spring.
This is correct......

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ordered a Burris 3-9x 32 w Adjustable Parallax in matt finish for my 1897CL. Here's a pic.

It's only 10.4" long so it should look good on the 1897.

firstshot

1 - 19 of 19 Posts