Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I absolutely refuse to tap into an unmolested waffle top, but I also want a scope as an option. That being said I bought a mounting rail that slides into the dovetail slot to mount a scout scope. A small aluminum block slides into the dovetail slot, and the rail screws on top, with the rear of the rail hanging over the barrel (gross windage adjusted with a small hex screw here), but being less than professional at such things it seems I over-filed the mounting block and the scope isn't perfectly still-the windage has a little wiggle. The wiggle is no more than about two inches at about 30 yards, but that could translate to missing a trophy buck in the field.

I know someone here has some experience in bubba smithing- is there any way to anchor the tail end of the rail without damaging the rifle? She's too pretty and too old to damage just to fit a scope, but I'd still like the option.
IMG_1380.JPG

IMG_4353.JPG

IMG_2567.JPG

IMG_3052.JPG

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,066 Posts
I strongly suspect recoil will change the point of impact very quickly with such a small footprint of a soft metal securing the scope. That dovetail was designed to secure the mass of a rear iron sight. The mass of the scope wanting to stand still as the gun recoils will surprise you. The set screw looks like it may mar the barrel. If it is drilled on the side you may want to consider a peep sight.

I hate to agree with you but I would consider that to be Bubba'd.

That is sweet looking gun!

AC

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
My opinion is that set up would not be good enough, why not mount a peep sight to the left side? OR....buy another firearm that you can do a proper mounting. With only that one anchor to hold it, I agree with gunscrewguy...recoils could play hell with ya.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Poor
Scope mount design and poor fitting technique. Your best bet is to not mount a scope on a rifle not designed for one. Second. Buy a new mount or contact the factory that made the mount and request a new part.
Third best.

I could list some other options but the results go down hill very fast

She is a great gun. Do the job right. That may mean buying a bolt action rifle that is designed for a scope.

·
Premium Member
3,217 Posts
I read about and bought the Ashley Performance scope mount. I don't think it will work for your application but something to keep in mind.

And never Bubba if you don't HAVE to.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Buy another rifle that is already set up for a scope base. Every waffle top ruined with holes is one more that will lose being an original waffle top and never be made again. Use the waffle top model like it was meant to be used. Open sights or peep. The way that scope is mounted now is crude and not stable enough to depend on it staying sighted in. If you are going to mount a scope using something like that at least try to find a steel cantilever mount that is compatible to that style of mounting.

·
Registered
473 Posts
At one time someone made a scope mount for these old Marlins; the front anchor point was the dove tailed slot for the rear sight; and the rear portion of the base was attached by screws to the factory pre-drilled holes for a rear mounted peep sight. Haven't seen one in years, and can't recall what it looked like installed; but it was a solid set-up.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
Ditch the scope and keep that old gal original. Start looking for a 336 factory D&T. Luckily all you filed was the scope mount which seems like a poor design to start with.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Buy another rifle that is already set up for a scope base. Every waffle top ruined with holes is one more that will lose being an original waffle top and never be made again. Use the waffle top model like it was meant to be used. Open sights or peep. The way that scope is mounted now is crude and not stable enough to depend on it staying sighted in. If you are going to mount a scope using something like that at least try to find a steel cantilever mount that is compatible to that style of mounting.
Yep, what he said.....:dito:

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I agree with the others, that's not going to fly for very long.

Ranger Point Precision makes a dovetail rail (with the dovetail in the center!) that will knock right into your 3/8 dovetail, but it's shorter and sets up real well for a smaller Red Dot, like a Bushnell TRS-25. This is the route I'd go, or just have the receiver professionally drilled and tapped for Weaver bases (best option).

DR

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Off-hand, the only thing I can think of in this scenario perhaps is trying the mounting/adding a custom made "V" block under the rail towards the rear there, with the V then fitting snugly down onto the curved barrel surface/sides, that might help with the windage/side-to-side movement and/or flexing of the rail... if you know what I mean?
I also recall seeing a mount before like Squirrel Brain mentions above, and believe I saw a video of it on YouTube as well; but for the life of me can't remember the company name... a small outfit making custom mounts for applications similar to this.
Good luck to you...

·
Registered
482 Posts
two inches of wiggle at 30yrds is a lot your talking like 3.3 at 50, 6.6 at 100. thats massive. IMO if you want optics you have to drill and tap. Or you can consider changing to the skinner base and mounting a micro red dot. but for a magnified optic you will need to drill and tap

·
Super Moderator
11,849 Posts
Curious where you bought that mount. I was thinking of doing something similar on my Rossi but am leaning towards just milling a dovetail into an existing section of picatinny rail instead.

·
Super Moderator
23,791 Posts
I hate to be critical of anybody's rig but I am just being honest here.

There is a reason why a regular 336 scope rail uses four screws.
A regular scout rig uses 3, and a XS rail uses 5.
I reccomend buying a later model gun that's tapped.
That will never hold in the field.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
What Navajo said in different words. Don't do it. That rail anchored with only an aluminum dovetail and a rear screw, is not likely to be satisfactory and you have molested a nice waffle top. The only thing nice about my waffle top is there is no rust. Stock and metal show lots of wear, but I refuse to drill it. Receiver sights work just fine for most people.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I suspect that that mount was intended for a small lightweight sight like a red dot, so you might consider one of those. With a full size scope I'd think the rear screw on that mount would leave an ugly mark on top of the barrel that wouldn't look any better than a proper drill and tap job.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I do not buy anything I can use, I have a waffle top that was D&T when I bought it, that's why I bought it I have to have a scope, I seen two last year that had scout mounts on them and it was a real solid system, so they are out there !!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts