Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got a reliable scope mounting system whereby I can take a Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 scope on and off my 336SS thereby using iron sites when I choose and putting scope back on when I feel like it and still have it hold zero? Seems like a lot to ask, I know, but was hoping some of you had some experience trying this out. I hunt Maine where most shots are under 100 yards. But my aging eyes make think I should have the ability to scope the gun at will when longer shots might be viable. Thanks in advance for any input.
Cheers
JAS

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I like the RHINO rail from RPP and Leupold QRW's

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mount a rail and put Warne QD detachable rings on.
I like the RHINO rail from RPP and Leupold QRW's
Thanks gents. I'm ordering the RPP clover-sight and Rhino rail today. Going to go with those Warne QD rings too. Setup is exactly what I was looking for. I knew I could count on you guys for an excellent suggestion.
Cheers
JAS

·
Registered
42 Posts
sounds like you found what you needed - but i'll chime in on the xs lever rail and qd rings. has worked for me in the past on a previous project. good luck with yours!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Anytime you remove and remount a scope, quick detach or not, you will have to reset zero. Should only need 1 shot though.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
See-thru rings are about the weakest mounting system you can buy. They're always aluminum and so high you risk tearing them off with only a moderate bump, or short drop. Field of view is limited for irons. Height of the scope requires an unnatural head position.

But maybe that's just me...

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have used Warne QR on my Ruger and CZ bolt guns. Also the Talley QR paired with Skinner's peep mount on my Marlin 35XLR. Both set ups always returned to the same POI after removal and remounting.

I trust we will see pictures once the set up is complete?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I saw a previous post that asked about see-through mounts. For me, they are the cat's meow. Yes, I am familiar with bad cheek weld, weak mounting system, and all the other arguments against see-through mounts, including they are just plain ugly, which point I totally agree with. Here is the thing, I've had my see-though mounts on for many many years, and all my gun does (regulation 336c, .30-30, early 70's vintage) is kill game and shoot 1" groups or less at 100 yards. I fire a couple of shots each season to verify zero, and it has never changed, and am ready to go. I am ready for any situation I might encounter while hunting. I have on several occasions "doubled up" on deer, first one with the scope, the second with factory irons as it trotted away. My last three bucks demonstrate the efficiency and practicality of see-through mounts. First one was taken at 286 accurately measured yards with a scope in broad daylight. I could have used the irons, but the scope made it more sure. Last year (2018 my buck came through at 6:15am in eastern MO, (yes legal shooting time), and there was no way I ever would have made the shot with open sights, as it was far to dark, even at the 35 yards he was at. This years (2019) buck came to me at bayonet range, and I used the open sights, never would have found him in the scope at four yards. Sure, I could have waited till he was farther out, or he might have smelled me or saw movement and hightailed it to the next county before I could scope him in. If I want to kill deer, I use my see-through scope mount .30-30, if I want something cooler looking or more exotic, I take one of my flintlocks or original 1861 rifled musket and accept the limitations I have chosen to impose 20191113_083440.jpg myself with. My .30-30 is my one and only modern deer rifle, and I know my gun very well and am comfortable and quick with either sighting system as the conditions dictate.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I have Warnes on all of my Marlins and muzzle loaders, bases and rings, RTZ every time - You should not be disappointed with your set up.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
There used to be hinged swing over mounts. I guess they quit making them because a lot of rifles dont have iron sights these days.

·
Banned
3,193 Posts
for quick detach you would need a rail base. and like Warne, Leupold, Burris quick detach rings. but me, I'm an old phart, I've got this thing about the solid one piece dovetail mount, but that's just me. get good quality scope, mount is as solidly as possible and only sweat it when your way too close to your target and 2x is too much, but if I'm that close a good ole point and shoot can't go wrong.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have 4 rifles with QD set ups. Been that way for 10 years. I have never taken advantage of it or needed it. They all have low power monotube scopes anyways and go down to 1 or 1.5 mag. My intention wa to pull the scope while walking and then reattach it while I sit. Never happened. That being said Its a fun set up to have. Cool factor.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I saw a previous post that asked about see-through mounts. For me, they are the cat's meow. Yes, I am familiar with bad cheek weld, weak mounting system, and all the other arguments against see-through mounts, including they are just plain ugly, which point I totally agree with. Here is the thing, I've had my see-though mounts on for many many years, and all my gun does (regulation 336c, .30-30, early 70's vintage) is kill game and shoot 1" groups or less at 100 yards. I fire a couple of shots each season to verify zero, and it has never changed, and am ready to go. I am ready for any situation I might encounter while hunting. I have on several occasions "doubled up" on deer, first one with the scope, the second with factory irons as it trotted away. My last three bucks demonstrate the efficiency and practicality of see-through mounts. First one was taken at 286 accurately measured yards with a scope in broad daylight. I could have used the irons, but the scope made it more sure. Last year (2018 my buck came through at 6:15am in eastern MO, (yes legal shooting time), and there was no way I ever would have made the shot with open sights, as it was far to dark, even at the 35 yards he was at. This years (2019) buck came to me at bayonet range, and I used the open sights, never would have found him in the scope at four yards. Sure, I could have waited till he was farther out, or he might have smelled me or saw movement and hightailed it to the next county before I could scope him in. If I want to kill deer, I use my see-through scope mount .30-30, if I want something cooler looking or more exotic, I take one of my flintlocks or original 1861 rifled musket and accept the limitations I have chosen to impose View attachment 784497 myself with. My .30-30 is my one and only modern deer rifle, and I know my gun very well and am comfortable and quick with either sighting system as the conditions dictate.
Did you actually use open sights at 12 feet or just point the gun instinctively? I think I could hit the rib cage of a grown deer at 12’ with a slick barrel gun. That doesn’t seem to be a good example for need of open sights. I’m thinking you would have taken that deer if you had the lowest scope mounting available.

A moving deer at 20 - 30 yards is where open sights can really be an advantage, but even that scenario doesn’t eliminate use of a low powered scope or red dot. See-under rings aren’t all bad as you have explained, but they come with a number of downsides. To me, the line of sight being around 2” above the bore is just not where I want to start zeroing a rifle. That’s 2” low at point blank range (muzzle touching the target). Set for dead-on at 100 yards means the bullet will have to climb 2” from the muzzle to the target. At that angle, the bullet will definitely climb above line of sight somewhere out past 100. How high above line of sight depends on bullet weight & velocity. It’s probably not excessive with a 30-30, but it could be unacceptable with some calibers.

With a scope close to 2” above the bore, a person has to be very aware of keeping the line of sight & the bore almost perfectly vertical for accuracy. A couple degrees off-vertical can make several inches of difference at greater distances. I’m happy for those that can make see-under rings work for them, I just can’t, but I can’t see open sights well either......

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Whatever works for you. For me, the only time I remove a scope is if there is a problem and then use the factory sights or sight on the RHINO rail as a backup.

Reactions: marlinluvr

·
Registered
125 Posts
I never have a problem with C-thru mounts as far as height of scope, cheek weld etc. I have a lot of rifles without them but when the weather is rotten

with snow or rain, fog I grab my 30-30 with the c thru mounts. There was even a few times when I was ready to shoot and my scope lens was fogged up from my breath and I didn't know it until I was ready to shoot. I have a 308 Win model 100 with tip-offs and POI is never the same after I click them back on. So it stays that way.

As far as being 2" low at point blank, that's no different than my AR's as that's standard with them. As to shooting tight groups I have no problem with none of the high mounted scopes. But not everybody has to like em, anymore than that I have to like removable, tip-off or Q/D scopes.

On running game at close range I'll use the iron's every time if I have them. Take a 22 rimfire squirrel hunting and try shooting them running with a scope, then try open sights. Ya big difference right there. As far as being weaker with a higher mount IDK maybe, but a scope isn't the most iron clad piece of equipment by itself, is it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts