Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any forum members know what the screw hole pattern on the old 2nd Model Model 57M Levermatic is? How many holes? Is the hole pattern (or at least the 2 end holes) the same as the 336 or 1894 series.

I am contemplating a purchase, but do not like alloy Weaver rails and would prefer to use steel Leupold Std-type rails and rings or Warne steel Weaver-type bases.

·
Super Moderator
11,454 Posts
Do any forum members know what the screw hole pattern on the old 2nd Model Model 57M Levermatic is? How many holes? Is the hole pattern (or at least the 2 end holes) the same as the 336 or 1894 series.

I am contemplating a purchase, but do not like alloy Weaver rails and would prefer to use steel Leupold Std-type rails and rings or Warne steel Weaver-type bases.
2 front 2 back. I always assumed the patterns are standard.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

I did see one, but did not have a 336 mount to see if they are the same, but they do look close. I will look in a friends old Shooters bible from the same period to see if the same bases fit.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Should be the same as the steel receiver model 56 also.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Yours is an old post and I am sure you have found a base by now, but I just found one two days ago at a local GS and when I took the no name scope off it had only two holes on the top of the receiver and a narrow base for rimfire rings attached with 2 screws. The base is thin steel, but quite strong. I would take the scope off and give you the measurement center to center, but I put a vintage scope on it and zeroed it yesterday! Hate to start over. I don't know which model it is, but most of the pictures I have seen they have 4 holes. It does have the 2 holes on the left side of the receiver for a peep sight. Questions like this are why I joined the forum.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found a 57M and thanks

Well, I did not get the one I was contemplating, but actually found one far nicer with a far better scope, but almost $100 more, but had the 3rd variation stock. However, condition, condition, condition. Fortunately, the bullseye was not drilled by Bubba for the sling stud.

You are correct two (2) holes only with the stamped steel rimfire rail. I am going to look at the rails that came off my 1894M and an old 336 to see if there are any hole matches. I will probably stick with the factory base since it has 1" Weaver tip-off rings that I know are not made anymore. They are identical to the classic regular rings, but have a base for tip-off rails. I was interested in putting a mint period steel Weaver K-6 on it and was concerned about the rail.

Thanks for the reply even though time has passed. BTW, I saw 2 Levermatics in .256 Win Mag on a dealers table at a show last weekend. Asking prices were $625 for scoped piece, and $585 for the non-scoped one. Both were round backed receivers.

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts